CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   STILL having front brake trouble...please help!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/still-having-front-brake-trouble-please-help-127353/)

coolcloo 06-23-2011 06:27 PM

STILL having front brake trouble...please help!!

About a month ago I had posted that my front brakes were locking up slowly while riding eventually to full lock. Well I took apart the calipers, cleaned everything put it back together, same thing. Then I thought well, maybe the MC isn't working correctly and relieving line pressure, picked up a good used MC and still, same thing. Leaving only the calipers, I picked up another set of calipers, both sides including lines all the way to the MC, known to be in working order. Got it all put together, took it for a ride tonight and it's still doing the same damn thing!!! I don't understand what else it could be.

They work fine for a few minutes and then the lever slowly gets stiffer and stiffer, luckily I took the trusty 8mm wrench so I could relieve the pressure while I was riding and make it back home without waiting for them to slowly release.

Any ideas fellas? This is driving me NUTS!!!

AlexF4i227 06-23-2011 06:50 PM

Lever??? have you changed it >??

coolcloo 06-23-2011 07:01 PM

Yeah, it's brand new. Basically the whole front brake system has been changed out and it's still doing the same thing.

The only thing I can think is that maybe the lever is keeping too much pressure on the MC plunger??

supersnake83 06-23-2011 07:51 PM

You said you basically replaced everything. Have you replace the master cylinder too?

coolcloo 06-23-2011 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by supersnake83 (Post 1071137)
You said you basically replaced everything. Have you replace the master cylinder too?

Yes, this is what is driving me nuts. I've replaced the master cylinder, brake lines and calipers. There's nothing else to the brake system, that's what I don't understand.

tyfrist 06-23-2011 09:21 PM

adjust the sensitivity at the brake handle. It may be too tight and so the brake is engaged when it's not.

It's that little spinning wheel, but you may have already tried that since you sound mechanically inclined

jeffjones 06-23-2011 09:50 PM

there was a post like this awhile ago and the problem was an ebay brake lever.
Do you have the ebay specials?

05CBR600F4i 06-23-2011 09:52 PM

I'm having the same problem, but mine never gets tight enough to lock up my brakes. I can usually feel it when it starts to happen and all i do is pull the lever out. I havent really tried to fix it yet but my guess is that the lever i have either needs to be greased or filed down because it isnt being aloud to swivel away from the mc plunger far enough to disengage. It was pretty tight fitting the lever into its spot. I might get to it tomorrow....i'll let you know how it goes but i would start by checking the lever if you have replaced everything else. not trying to thread jack, but One question i have...how stiff should my front break be? Whenever my bike sits and i get back on my brake lever is always mushy. After riding it tightens up.

coolcloo 06-23-2011 10:12 PM

Jeffjones...yes, it was an ebay special. I am thinking of ordering a different one. Suggestions without breaking the bank?

Could I possibly try filing down the area where the lever contacts the plunger and see if that makes a difference? I've already dumped over $150 into the brakes and it's the same as I started so I don't want to dump any more than is needed.

LasVegasHarley 06-23-2011 11:08 PM

on the stock lever, the adjustment wheel has a notch that must line up with arrow on the lever. If it is not lined up the adjuster will not lock and vibration while riding will cause it to turn out of adjustment.