F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Stator Vs. R/R With pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator Vs. R/R With pics!

So I had had a battery problem for a while and was told that bat was bad (which I agreed because it was quite old), so I bough a BikeMaster battery and charged to full. I put it in and rode it for a day and the batt was dead again.

So I took her to the Honda shop, they charged me 43 bucks and told me to buy a new battery and that the one in there was **** (2 days old) so they said "you can buy a yasua one for $198 and I said no thanks bumps started it rode down the street and got a charged yasua from another dealer for 120.

It was fine for about a week and then it died today, so I bought a multimeter to test it out myself and this is what I got...

The batt was 12.4 with the bike off, turned the bike on and at idle it was this- 11.90

This is the bike at 8k RPM's- 11.95

the connector between the stator and R/R looked like it was filled with black nasty stuff seen here -

where the wires come out of the stator it looked like a bit dirty and felt oily (about the size of a dime nothing extreme) -

right where the wires go into the R/R it looked chafed a bit but non of the actual wires are chafed just the black sleeve. -

Last edited by fubbzie; 09-15-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At 8k rpm you were only getting 11.95V? That's a good sign of the stator being an issue. But there are more tests to do to rule out the r/r and wiring. Do you have the manual?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 PM

ya i have a clymer laying around, the stator has taken a few blows over its lifetime , 2 to be exact PO had like a 10-15 mph lowside and I had a 30mph+ lowside bot knocking the stator pretty bad.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:17 PM

do a leak test, with the battery in take off the negative cable an the ignition off check the leak, max is 2.0 mA, if its above it disconnect the rr cable an re check if its under 2.0 mA then its the rr, if not well check the rr first

Old 09-15-2010, 06:20 PM

alright give me a min and ill be right back.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 PM

MY multi meter only reads DC volts Ac volts and Resistances, what I did was took the negative cable off ad put the multimeter in between and it read 12.3volts but i think i may be doing something wrong.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:27 PM

you should be getting 13-15v at the battery while the bikes running. something is up with your charging system for sure. looks like the service manual says to start by checking the coil resistance. unplug the stator from the rectifier/reg(pics 2+3). switch the meter to ohms and test the resistance(of the stator, motor OFF) between 1-2,1-3,2-2. should be between .1-1.0 ohms. let us know what you get, there are plenty of tests you can do on this baby

Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 PM

alright gonna go test the plug, i dont have DCamps on this multi but i have DCV ACV and the resistances so hopefully ill find the culprit.

so I unplugged that connection and put the multimeter on 200 resistance, and no matter what i went from from each connection tot he other it just sat at 1. bike was off no key in the ignition.

The wierd thing is just the other day it was charging at 14.8 its like it kicks on and off, think bashing my stator cover off the road screwed with the stator or is that a R/R problem.

Like sometimes i can get on and ride for days charging fine, and other times I'll die in a day.

Last edited by fubbzie; 09-15-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:16 PM

That's weird. I would say givin the history you beat up the magnets in the stator pretty bad but if its a intermittent thing it may or may not be involved and you shouldn't rule out the r/r yet either. I don't have the info to test them but it sounds like MH has got the info you need!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 PM

ya at least I have an idea of what parts are causing trouble now, I payed the honda shop to "check the charging system" and they said it was fine..... sure it is.

Quick Reply: Stator Vs. R/R With pics!