CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Stator help? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/stator-help-129674/)

BurtonSnwBoarder 08-15-2011 05:34 PM

Stator help?

4 Attachment(s)
So I wrecked my bike and ordered all parts to replace what I thought needed to be replaced, as I was removing the Cracked stator/alternator cap..a piece fell with a huge bolt still screwed in. Looked further under and saw this:

Attachment 44780

Attachment 44781

Attachment 44782

Attachment 44783

How ****ed am I? I still owe about $2000 on the bike, worth fixing?

BurtonSnwBoarder 08-15-2011 06:37 PM

I was thinking maybe a High Temperature Epoxy since that is the only place with the crack. I don't have the money for anything new, but I don't want to half ass it and be back in the garage fixing the same thing again.

Dragondima 08-16-2011 12:35 AM

Know any good welders? They charge by the hour, typically 100 an hour. That might be a 20 min job, so could be around 40 to repair it.

BurtonSnwBoarder 08-16-2011 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dragondima (Post 1090458)
Know any good welders? They charge by the hour, typically 100 an hour. That might be a 20 min job, so could be around 40 to repair it.

I don't but I will definitely look into it, $40 is a lot better than getting the whole thing new or even used.

supersnake83 08-16-2011 07:32 AM

Even with welding, that is going to be a really tough repair job. Getting the pieces all back together is one thing, but re-threading the screw housing is another.

Also, at the looks of the damage, you are looking at the stator itself, flywheel, cover and replacement screws. (which is probably already a whole lot)

Did you have full coverage insurance on the bike? or was the accident somebody's fault?

BurtonSnwBoarder 08-16-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by supersnake83 (Post 1090523)
Even with welding, that is going to be a really tough repair job. Getting the pieces all back together is one thing, but re-threading the screw housing is another.

Also, at the looks of the damage, you are looking at the stator itself, flywheel, cover and replacement screws. (which is probably already a whole lot)

Did you have full coverage insurance on the bike? or was the accident somebody's fault?

Well the broken piece sets perfectly fine, all I can hope it when taking the bolt out that it goes smoothly back in. Plus whatever pressure builds up, that it can still hold. As for the Stator and flywheel, I know that the stator still slides smoothly in and out and can spin freely (just checked to make sure the flywheel wasn't bent to the point it couldn't)

Am I okay to wash the stator? Small grass bits got around a little, cleared out everything else. Also, what do I need to apply to the stator? When taking it out I smeared off a lot of crap.