F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

startup - white smoke, flaming exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default startup - white smoke, flaming exhaust!

Recently I've been getting a lot of white smoke from my exhaust for at least a couple of minutes after startup. So today after about half a minute of white smoke I decided to try revving to see if the rev was stable. This was a cold start and the temp had not stabilized yet.
So I kicked the engine a little around 8k-10k rpm and let off the throttle... and pop - a little flame from the exhaust! (scorpion slipon). I tried again, to around 11k and this time POP the flame was the full diameter of the exhaust port and a good 6 inches long!
Cracked me up and I mean to get some pics next time :P but should I debug this? The constant smoke goes away when I ride for a couple of minutes, then on I see small wisps when I rev high and let off throttle... the flaming stops happening too.

I was thinking of dyno-tuning the bike for Xmas since I have a PC3 lying around... will that be sufficient? There's around 17k on the bike and I've done the 16k service.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: startup - white smoke, flaming exhaust!

yo, white smoke usually means that you are not burning the fuel thoroughly.
light blue/white smoke means that you are burning oil, cause it got somehow into the chamber.

the fact that you have a pop along with the smoke might be that you need to change the plugs.
but, you can have the same effect with popin when you change to a aftermarket muffler.
since you just did your service, I would recheck the plugs.
^shot in the dark.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:23 PM

I would think you are running tooo rich, and a pcIII is definately in order, new plugs never hurt either, I would do the combo and your bike will feel awesome, keep us posted!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 PM

I want to see pics!!! or a vid!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:34 PM

The initial white smoke is actually steam. Condensation in the exhaust system is boiling off, hence the white "smoke".
Ifthewhite cloudcontinues even after the bikehas been running for a while, then you're possibly burning coolant.

Black is fuel and blue is oil.

I agree, you could be running a bit rich.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What they said... sounds like a PCIII dynotune is in order... should take care of it. If it's cold outside (less then 40 or so) then it's gonna blow white smoke for a lil bit.... that's completely normal

And WTF are you thinking neutral revving it to 10-11k on a stone cold motor??? [&:][:@] Your motor has a short life expectancy if you keep that up.... You aren't hanging around the GSX-R people again, are you??

Old 12-13-2007, 08:38 PM

Black
ORIGINAL: bergs

The initial white smoke is actually steam. Condensation in the exhaust system is boiling off, hence the white "smoke".
Ifthewhite cloudcontinues even after the bikehas been running for a while, then you're possibly burning coolant.

hey, just curious but how would coolant get in the exhaust?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi
And WTF are you thinking neutral revving it to 10-11k on a stone cold motor???
+ 1,000

Old 12-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: alekinci

Black
ORIGINAL: bergs

hey, just curious but how would coolant get in the exhaust?
Blown head gasket

Or other ways depending on vehicle/engine.... I work on diesel trucks, and they blow EGR coolers all the time and ingest coolant through the intake then fill up the exhaust with coolant (and sometimes hydrolocks the engine in the process... fun fun). Even after fixing it, it'll blow clouds of white smoke and drip liquid coolant out the drain hole in the muffler for 15-20 mins, hahah. The guys over at our body shop actually thought the truck I was in was on fire once, and called my manager all scared, LOL

Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 PM

ty Lxi

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi
hanging around the GSX-R people again, are you??
+1000

Quick Reply: startup - white smoke, flaming exhaust!