F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Starter turns over but bike will not start

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter turns over but bike will not start

In the last month we've replaced the HID lights, the stator cover, drained and refilled the oil. Bike turns over but will not start, I've checked all the wires and as far as I can see everything is the way that it was a month ago when the bike ran fine. What could be causing this?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:24 PM

Wouldn't the obvious thing be to check the battery????? There has been like 10 posts in the last week similar to this.

Last edited by teko1020; 02-07-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 PM

Do you have spark? Is the fuel pump priming? Have you tried charging the battery? Does the bike turn over easily or does it struggle? Good places to start.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by teko1020
Wouldn't the obvious thing be to check be the battery????? There has been like 10 posts in the last week similar to this.
I assumed that it was obvious enough that I had checked the battery that it was unnecessary for me to include that. Thanks, though.

Originally Posted by jondevos
Do you have spark? Is the fuel pump priming? Have you tried charging the battery? Does the bike turn over easily or does it struggle? Good places to start.
How do you test and see if you have spark? The fuel is priming, the battery is plugged up to a charger, turns over easily.

Thanks for any help given, guys

Old 02-07-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by m3ds
How do you test and see if you have spark? The fuel is priming, the battery is plugged up to a charger, turns over easily.

Thanks for any help given, guys
Remove one plug at a time and ground it against the engine head (hold it against head but dont push too hard cause then you will mess up the gap) and have someone crank the bike over. Be sure to keep it grounded against the head the whole time the bike is cranking to prevent damage to the electrical system. Also yu wont get a spark if its not grounded. You should get a ncie healthy bright spark. If not then id start with simply cleaning the plugs.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by jondevos
Remove one plug at a time and ground it against the engine head (hold it against head but dont push too hard cause then you will mess up the gap) and have someone crank the bike over. Be sure to keep it grounded against the head the whole time the bike is cranking to prevent damage to the electrical system. Also yu wont get a spark if its not grounded. You should get a ncie healthy bright spark. If not then id start with simply cleaning the plugs.
Okay, I will try this. Thanks a lot! I'll keep you guys posted as to if I get it working heh

Sorry if I was smart in my reply to the first comment, it's been a long day

Old 02-07-2010, 11:27 PM

It's cool bro. I missed the part where you said the battery was reading 12v with the lights on in your original post.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the tip over sensor bypassed? It's been awhile since Ive been around so im a little hazy but there's also a wire in the headlight harness that prevents the bike from running if the headlights not hooked up. I bypassed it as do most stunters. If it were getting bad contact or the HID's didnt use the original harness, it could cause this. Just throwing that out there.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 PM

Since his fuel pump is priming this eliminates the possibility that the tip over sensor is the problem. The fuel pump would not prime if it were the tip sensor.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your right and that also eliminates the headlight. I just re-read your post. Why did you change the stator cover? did you get the wires hooked up correctly. I'm thinking your pulse sensor isnt hooked up so therefore the bike doesnt know when to fire.

Quick Reply: Starter turns over but bike will not start