CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   SS Brake Lines (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/ss-brake-lines-96106/)

florida f4i 06-25-2009 01:30 AM

SS Brake Lines

After looking at mine, I have a feeling that's my self-adjusting problem (along with the need to be bled).

With that said, what lines would you guys recommend?

I ran a search and found a little, but not enough to come to a solid conclusion (I'd rather have it a little more organized in here), and of course, if you could suggest a place to get 'em, I would appreciate it.

Galfer, Hel, Spiegler, Goodridge, etc?

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

Berto 06-25-2009 04:19 AM

I used the Galfers. Worked fine but...ya gotta get the right pads. I didn't notice any difference when I put the stainless lines on with the stock pads in place. When I switched to EBC pads, brake feel improved noticeably.

--Paul

Aken 06-25-2009 06:11 AM

The four name brands you just mentioned are pretty comparable when it comes to performance. You're talking minor differences that I am 99% sure you won't notice.

At this point in time, find the one you think looks best, or is cheapest, or whatever route you want to go. Can't really go wrong with the name brands.

For what it's worth, when I originally ordered lines, I ordered Galfer from MotoMummy.com. They ended up telling me they discontinued the Galfer line due to the colors fading on the lines/banjos (nothing to do with performance, really). How true that is, I dunno, but they gave me Spiegler instead. No complaints here.

Definitely get a good pad, though. EBC and Galfer are great, and I think there's a couple others out there too.

chuckbear 06-25-2009 09:22 AM

I have the EBC HH pads, EBC rotors and Galfer lines and I'm 100% with Aken. All of those lines will probably be comparable in quality with minor differences in price/color options. All will be noticeably more resposive over stock.

Do yourself a favor for the brake bleeding and spend $20 or $30 bucks at Autozone on a vacuum bleeder kit. It will save you tons of time and a lot of frustration.

florida f4i 06-25-2009 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Berto (Post 802066)
I used the Galfers. Worked fine but...ya gotta get the right pads. I didn't notice any difference when I put the stainless lines on with the stock pads in place. When I switched to EBC pads, brake feel improved noticeably.

--Paul

I have HH's all around, so I have a feeling I'll notice, haha.

Luckily the bike came with 'em, but I had to change out the rears (the fronts will be needing it in the not-so-far future, but they still have some good life on 'em)

Originally Posted by Aken (Post 802081)
The four name brands you just mentioned are pretty comparable when it comes to performance. You're talking minor differences that I am 99% sure you won't notice.

At this point in time, find the one you think looks best, or is cheapest, or whatever route you want to go. Can't really go wrong with the name brands.

For what it's worth, when I originally ordered lines, I ordered Galfer from MotoMummy.com. They ended up telling me they discontinued the Galfer line due to the colors fading on the lines/banjos (nothing to do with performance, really). How true that is, I dunno, but they gave me Spiegler instead. No complaints here.

Definitely get a good pad, though. EBC and Galfer are great, and I think there's a couple others out there too.

Yeah, I've heard good things about MotoMummy, so I think I'm gonna go through them.

What kind of brake fluid are you running to compliment 'em?

I will go with the best that's available, as I don't like cheaping out on stuff, and am willing to spend the extra buck to get quality stuff (not that any of the brands are bad, but I want to go with the best, especially with something of this nature and importance)

Originally Posted by chuckbear (Post 802126)
I have the EBC HH pads, EBC rotors and Galfer lines and I'm 100% with Aken. All of those lines will probably be comparable in quality with minor differences in price/color options. All will be noticeably more resposive over stock.

Do yourself a favor for the brake bleeding and spend $20 or $30 bucks at Autozone on a vacuum bleeder kit. It will save you tons of time and a lot of frustration.

I work at Advance, so I'll probably pick one up next time I go in/whenever I get the lines, haha.

I had a feeling bleeding the brakes on the bike would be a bit tricky, at least compared to a car.

I'm gonna give MotoMummy a call tomorrow and see what's up, and perhaps place an order, depending on how much my check is.

Thanks for the help, gents, and keep it coming if you feel it necessary :)

playb0i 06-25-2009 11:38 PM

so changing to performance pads..what about the rotor?????? isnt it more harsh on the rotor or anything?

florida f4i 06-25-2009 11:54 PM

Pads and lines make the biggest difference in braking power, IIRC, the main thing that upgraded rotors will do is dissipate heat.

Although the effects of that are probably hardly noticeable on the street, you wouldn't truly see the benefits unless you were tracking/riding the piss out of the bike.

Aken 06-26-2009 12:30 AM

Brake fluid is kind of like the lines - you can't go wrong with a lot of what's out there. Any DOT3/4 fluid should be okay. Like you said, you won't see a huge difference with the expensive stuff unless you're really pushing the bike.

chuckbear 06-26-2009 10:13 AM

What aken said again. lol

I think it says on the cap for the front brake reservoir, so that's a good place to start. I use the DOT 3/4 Synthetic blend personally, but I wouldn't worry too much about brand or special specs. Anything DOT 3 or 4 imo.

some guy #2 06-26-2009 10:23 AM

DOT 3/4 or 5.1 if you can actually find it

For new line the vacuum bleeder is a must but for regular bleeding, either use speed bleeders or just the regular pump/crack/tighten repeat method. It is much easier on a bike than a car