Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squid...?

Stupid Quick Under-dressed Iminantly Dead

Old 10-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: oodayvidoo
does it mean anything beside that it refers to people who are retards? could someone please let me know who made up the origin of this word so i could stab them cuz it's so stupid...
Technical Definition: Squid - Acronym, SQUirrely kID.
1. In reference to younger MC riders with little respect to posted speed limit laws, self safety or safety of others. 2. Inexperienced newcomer, someone trying to ride beyond his skill level with arms flailing (like a squid) to try not to fall. This may be just a Southern term. 3. Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Imminantly Dead. 4 Any SportBike Rider - seems this term got twisted along the way and has many meanings. 5 Sportbike riders who wear tennis shoes or flip flops, shorts, tshirts, etc. on their nice shiny new sport bikes. 6 Anyone that rides without all proper gear , rides recklessly, or rides beyond their limits.

source: Motorcycle Dictionary

Name:  attach.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  30.8 KB

[color=#000033]Origin of the Word: Orignially from an article in the early 80's where this type of rider was called a "squirely kid" and shortened by riders throughout the years.

The term "squid" came into use to describe certain motorcyclists in the 1980s. Former Cycle magazine editor Paul Gordon claims credit for it. Originally it applied not just to kids, and it didn’t connote a lack of safety gear; it referred to those who engaged in high-risk canyon riding. Most squids were young, but anyone who took chances—and often crashed—earned the title. The full safety gear that confers legitimacy today was rare in the 1980s. In fact, the well-worn second-hand race leathers worn by some riders were regarded as a sign of squidliness.

Ken Vreeke, who worked at Cycle alongside Gordon, circumscribed the notion of squidliness in a 1985 article, "Growing Up Squidly" (Cycle, 3/85), in which he revisits his youth: It could have been so perfect: A friend and I out for a Sunday morning ride on spanking-new motorcycles, the pure twirling grace of endless canyon roads before us, behind us the urban machinations and pension-planned, computerized whizz-bangery of the workaday world. Today we would be creatures of the road, given to flights of enthusiasm and blissful indulgence.

Then we saw the wreckage. There, within earshot of the Sunday morning hangout, was a Moto Guzzi stuck like a dart into the side of a car. The bike was a write-off, the rider was nowhere in sight, and the scene flooded me with memories. I had seen it all before, years ago. In the crumpled Moto Guzzi was hard evidence of squidliness, and a reminder of why it had been years since I had visited these canyons on a weekend.

Squidliness is not unique to Southern California; it is one of nature’s own behavioral kinks, and it knows no geographic bounds. Squids are usually young, free from pressing responsibilities, and possessed of natural blind spots, especially where such things as danger are concerned. They are practiced masters of rationalization, who can crash for no other reason than abundant ignorance—but blame their thrashing on bad karma or on a mysterious scum-slide which everyone else miraculously avoided.

Southern California is a prime breeding ground for squids. It is quite impossible to be too tanned, too rich, or too squidly in California. Then, too, there are the canyon roads, miles and miles of intoxicating tarmac that invite willful disregard of civic obedience.

Flanked by the Pacific Ocean and the sprawling suburbia west of Los Angeles, the Rock Store sits quietly in the shadow of the craggy Malibu Mountains. It’s the watering hole for weekend warriors who pour forth from Los Angeles to ride some of the best canyon roads anywhere. As we rolled into the parking lot, I flashed on old memories again. The lot was already filled with a hundred mot

Old 10-01-2007, 05:34 PM

way too long man... paraphrase next time haha.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Retired Moderator

but it had to be said [8D][8D]

Old 10-01-2007, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Kewl Breeze

does it mean anything beside that it refers to people who are retards? could someone please let me know who made up the origin of this word so i could stab them cuz it's so stupid...

Did that answer your question? [8D]
thanks for the novel... but there was no need for that. my questions was already answered as you can see in 4 previous posts above yours. thanks again tho...

Old 10-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Retired Moderator

thanks for the novel... but there was no need for that. my questions was already answered as you can see in 4 previous posts above yours. thanks again tho...

o-rly? those where definitions but you also asked for origin of the word and who made it, which was the majority of my post. you're welcome tho i guess. [&:]

Old 10-01-2007, 07:29 PM

it had it on wikipedia though... but i read yours and it was thorough also. thanks!

Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 PM

"Squids can appear unable to change direction while swimming without first coming to a near complete stop." LOL I like that one...

I've always heard the acronym one...but the whole animal thing is pretty funny, too.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Retired Moderator

it had it on wikipedia though... but i read yours and it was thorough also. thanks!

no problem, glad it was useful.

lol .. now i feel like we're in a spelling bee:
Language of origin Please, root word? Can you use it in a sentence?

btw, all threads require the obligatory pic:

Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 PM

this thread makes me remember all of the funny *** videos i watched before i got a bike of people locking up on the throttle and closelining themselves with a tree or ghost riding the bike into a car.

Quick Reply: Squid...?