F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Squeak noise and handlebar weight question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak noise and handlebar weight question

I did a search, but the only thing I could find when typing in fron end squeak or "squeek" wasone post with the exact same problem as mine from 05 with no responses...With the "search" disclaimer out of the way.

1.)While accellerating I get a squeak in the front end..Only happens while slightly accellerating..At first I thought it was engine related, but it seems more suspension related since it seems to happen more while turning. (maybe it's just more pronounced to me while turning)

2.) While twisting my throttle one day I also seemed to grab ahold of the handlebar weight (item # 9 in the picture below) and managed to turn it 1/4 of a turn.. I attempted to tighten it back down by snugging down the long bolt that goes into the weight..I noticed the weight was still easy to turn back and forth a quarter of a turn no matter how much I tightened that bolt down.....Figured no big deal, I can deal with a semi loose weight because it didn't seem to cause any issues..
Problem is the bolt (#19 in the picture) kept coming loose..I'd snug it back down and it would come loose again after a few hundred miles...Last week #9 and #19 in the picture flew off my bike....I didn't know it was gone until I stopped..
My question is this..If I buy a new weight and bolt, it's going to be loose in there like the old one won't it? Item #11 say's it's a snap ring...All that crap should still be intact correct?? Also what would make that weight loose even when tightening down the bolt? I guess I don't really understand why that weight would still turn and was loose even when tightening up the bolt?? BTW the threads for that long bolt are not stripped.
Thanks

Forgot some very important information
2005 CBR 8300 miles.
Squeak seems to be vehicle speed related, not engine speed related but only happens @ about 2500 rpms at 1/4 throttle..Typically worse after 1+ hours of continous riding, butis starting to happenmore frequently..Soundskind of likea set of keys jingling around in your hands, but higher pitched.It seems to be when you take some weight off the front end..I'm wondering if it's not a bad wheel bearing or something of the sort...Not a CCT issue..

BTW: Posted with no editing....WOO HOO

Here's a pic of the items I was referring too.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Default RE: Squeak noise and handlebar weight question

bumpity bump

Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your steering head bearings and fork tubes for stiction and/ or leaks.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM
WOT

Hold your front brake and rock your bike forward to compress the forks up and down and listen/feel for something not right. If it clunks or clicks, it could be your steering head bearings.

don't worry about the bar ends, they just expand in the bar when you tighten the bolt, they don't screw into anything.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the replies...I'll check the steering head bearings..striction????
If it's an issue do they need replaced or will they just cause a squeek?

WOT as far as the bar ends go, will putting a new weight and bolt on cause the issue or will it still be loose...If the weight is still going to be loose the bolt will eventually come loose again...If I want to correct this issue what all is needed..

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 PM

Stiction is the friction from the fork tube bushings and seals.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 PM

Ok thanks...So If it's the fork tubes, no big deal until it affects ride quality...What if it's the steering head bushings..what part is that exactly??

Old 08-19-2008, 03:18 PM

The bearings go around the steering stem. At the head of the frame between the 2 triple clamps.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
WOT

Bad steering head bearings should be taken care of right away and the same with any fork issues.

My bar ends turn as well, just yank on it and see if it's in there good and then if it is, forget about it.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:29 PM

Don't the OEM ends stay put because they have a "step" design? I ditched my OEM long ago.

Quick Reply: Squeak noise and handlebar weight question