F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Spy 5000m alarm system help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell
ANOTHER ADDITION
The pink and grey wires (on my alarm) that tap into that black/white wire coming off of the grey connector on the ECM are what sense your ignition being on and cut it off when you want to turn the bike off. The way the alarm is designed is that when you remote start, you walk up to the bike and put your key in the ignition. Once the alarm brain sees +12v coming along the ignition, it stops pumping 12v into the black wire you spliced into. SO...until you have that hooked up...when you remote start, put your key in the ignition when you're ready to go, turn it in the ON position, and then hit the stop button on the alarm so the brain stops pumping 12v into that wire. If you don't do this, your kill switch won't do anything (motor won't turn off) nor will the key. And something about two sources (ignition/brain) pumping voltage into the wire doesn't sit right with me.

/novel

-Duo
That might be why the fuse is being blown. Maybe the brain is not shutting off the 12v supply when I turn the key on and the double feed is enough to blow the fuse. Only have one fuse left so Ill have to go get some and then experiment with that.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:47 AM

Ok, in that case, you have the wires that hook up to the black/white on the ECM reversed.

On mine they are pink and grey...you cut the black white wire and hook up the alarm in between (one wire on ECM side and one wire on the side leading to the ignition).

The way you have them now is opposite of how they should be. If I recall correctly it should be

1) Cut black/white wire
2) Connect ECM to grey wire on alarm
3) Connect other side of b/w wire to pink wire on alarm

I initially didn't cut the wire and just tried to tap into it...which blew the fuse...then I hooked them up in reverse, grey on ignition side and pink on ECM side.

So yeah try that. You can also just disconnect the alarm from the black/white wire. Remote start works fine at that point...and you can even kill it by pressing the unlock button...but you can't use the remote to kill it if a key is in the ignition and its in the on position.

-Duo

Old 05-07-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell

The way you have them now is opposite of how they should be. If I recall correctly it should be

1) Cut black/white wire
2) Connect ECM to grey wire on alarm
3) Connect other side of b/w wire to pink wire on alarm

-Duo
Today I am going to disconnect the pink and grey wires entirely and see if that works for me. I have the grey on the ecm side and the pink on the ignition side. Thanks for all the help Duo and Kuroshio.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Ok well I went out and disconnected the grey and pink wires (which were connected properly) and reconnected the black/white wire with a short wire. Here are the connections I have.

Blue to the red/yellow wire at the start relay. Obviously functioning properly as the bike does turn over.
Name:  P1080682.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  95.0 KB

Grey to ECM side of black/white wire. (currently disconnected)
Name:  P1080683.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  78.7 KB

Pink to ignition side of black/white wire (currently disconnected)
Name:  P1080684.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  101.6 KB

Brown wire to the black wire which runs to the engine stop relay.
Name:  P1080685.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  113.5 KB

Here is the short wire I used to reconnect the black/white wire for testing purposes. I know its working fine as the bike will start with the key.
Name:  P1080686.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  84.7 KB
and here is what I get when I hit the remote start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zSZI3htrFk

Any other ideas as to what it might be?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:19 AM

ive been following this thread to see if the prob got worked out before i get one. i cant watch the video here at work to see what its doing but do you guys think since his bike will manual start fine that maybe the alarm itself is bad? do you live close enough to one of these guys that has the same one that you could just plug thier box into your wires and try that? just a thought.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:36 AM

Its a great idea and I did think of that but it would cost me way more in gas just to get to any of these guys as I am in Canada than to just buy a new alarm. I dont think it is the alarm though as the bike does power up and crank over. Just not priming for some reason.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:44 AM

After watching the video again of what is happening I am beginning to think that maybe the fuel pump is priming just the sound of the starter is covering it up. Maybe its just not priming enough before the starter cuts out. I wonder if there is a way to either delay the bike cranking over by 1-2 seconds after everything powers up or to make it crank over longer. Ill go back out to the bike and try to verify whether or not the fuel pump is actually priming or not.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:02 AM

Nevermind, I just went and and double checked and fuel pump is 100% not priming with the remote. Works fine with the key though.

The FI light stays on as well with the remote. 3 lights normally come on when starting the bike Neutral, FI, and oil. Once the bike starts oil and FI turn off. When using the remote all 3 stay on. Obviously the oil because the engine didnt start but why is the FI light staying on?

Last edited by jondevos; 05-07-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 PM

maybe the alarm manufacturer will send you a diagram of the startup voltages so you can check the leads from the alarm with a multimeter. maybe just one circuit of the board is bad. i hope you find the prob cause i want to get one of these soon but not if its just gonna be problamatic.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:33 PM

It's all 12 volts. The alarm is actually just a massive box of relays...thats one way to think about it.

Anyway...make sure you are leaving the red switch in the run position. The bike will NOT remote start if the switch is in the stop position.

If it is working properly the dash lights and headlight should come on and the gauges should do their initialization crap. Mine has no delay and just starts as soon as the fuel pump begins to prime so that's definitely a non-issue.

At this point, if you're SURE that the pink/grey wires are no longer in the loop, I think you might've tapped into the wrong wire for the engine stop. To review, this should be your connections:

Alarm Wire Color--Alarm Wire Function--Bike Wire Color
Brown--Ignition On--Black wire under the seat going towards engine stop
Blue--Starter Run--Yellow/Red wire front-left of the battery under red cap
Yellow-Turn Signal--Orange wires near the tail

IMPORTANT
--One thing I just though about is you definitely have a different alarm than me. I didn't buy the Spy 5000m...I bought some other cheap chinese alarm...and looking through your diagrams you have different colors than me. On my alarm the wire responsible for turning the ignition is brown. Looking at this image...
Name:  wirediagram.png
Views: 1623
Size:  125.3 KB

The wire you should be hooking up to the Engine Stop black wire to the Alarm's orange wire.

Let me know how it goes
-Duo

Quick Reply: Spy 5000m alarm system help!