CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   sprocket change (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/sprocket-change-110637/)

yog182 05-14-2010 09:22 PM

sprocket change

Hey guys... My chain and sprockets are about due for a change.. Right now i am currently -1 in the front and i enjoy it. I was thinking about going -1 in the front and +1 in the back so i don't screw with my RPM's while riding too much on the high way.. (I have a speedohealer on it, just dont want the RPM range to get out of hand on me.)

My question is, could i go -2 in the front and leave the back at 46. Will that be the same thing as -1 +1? Or would some one recommend only going -1 in the front and from the rest go up in the back?

Thanks

tanrush 05-14-2010 09:47 PM

If I remember right the F4I's stock sprockets are 16/46. You would not want to go lower than a 15 on the front. It increases wear problems on the front sprocket and the chain. It would be better to go up in the back. I have only had my 02 since December and it is still stock. My plan is to go -1 +2.
No, going -1 +1 is not the same. It is more like -1 equals about +2.5 on the back, give or take.

vangill 05-14-2010 09:50 PM

ive heard -1 in the front = 3 in tha back and my dealer says its closer to +4 in the back. so -2 in the front is like +6 at least. just run a -1+2 or just the -1, or -1+1 but i would say no less than -1 in the front.

yog182 05-14-2010 10:06 PM

That sounds good.. i guess i could do a -1 +2 and always get a different rear sprocket if need be..... =)

boredandstroked 05-15-2010 12:38 PM

If this isen't a track bike whats the point? If you want your revs to be higher while cruising just leave it in 5th gear. In a all out drag race you might notice the difference but I have yet to find somewhere where I can pin the throttle open from a start and leave it that way more then 3 seconds before traffic or insanely illigeal speeds are attained. Besides, stock your already cruising 85 at 7k, isen't that high enough?

kowen1208 05-15-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 921430)
If this isen't a track bike whats the point? If you want your revs to be higher while cruising just leave it in 5th gear. In a all out drag race you might notice the difference but I have yet to find somewhere where I can pin the throttle open from a start and leave it that way more then 3 seconds before traffic or insanely illigeal speeds are attained. Besides, stock your already cruising 85 at 7k, isen't that high enough?

True. Unless you're actually looking for a performance boost that you'll actually use, I'd just leave it stock. I bought mine -1/+2 and I'm taking it back to stock as soon as I can afford it.

There's one road here about two minutes away from my house that is perfect for some WOT now and then. It's long, straight, has few lights, light traffic (except at rush hour), and isn't really patrolled. I've only had my bike up to about 85 mph there, but I'm sure I could get about 120 mph before I needed to slow down for the next light.