F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Spools on an F4i

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spools on an F4i

okay a while back I needed to put spools on my F4i, but as we all know they don't come drilled for spools like the RR and most other bikes do. My F4i is a trackbike as some of you may already know so it doesn't have a kickstand and using the rearstand with just the pads is a PITA. I bought the kit (from LP I think) to drill the swingarm and use the inserts but I was kinda worried about how stable that would be and if there would be any negative affects on the swingarm so I began looking for another option. Pit-Bull makes weld-on tabs for this purpose and they are awesome! I e-mailed Pit-Bull asking because I was worried about having someone weld these on my F4i's aluminum swingarm (aluminum is prone to warping when heated). Pit-Bull offered to weld the tabs on themselves for free (I of course had to pay for shipping)! I sent them my swingarm and they did the welding to ensure my swingarm didn't get f'ed up. It turned out great, I've had them on there for a few months now and the bike sits on stands all the time (as I said no kickstand) and its incredibly stable.

Here are a couple of pics:

great stuff, just a solution for anybody else looking to put spools on their F4i without drilling the swingarm

hope this helps somebody

Old 05-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Default RE: Spools on an F4i

Yea i talked to them about doing the same thing to mine about 2 weeks ago. Just got to wait till i save some money and I am going to buy an extra swingarm and send it to them.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:36 PM

That's a great idea, but don't you think it would be possible to find someone locally that could do it without having to take your swingarm off? Maybe even a bike shop?

Old 05-07-2006, 03:46 PM

APCh8r: yeah thats what I did, my swingarm was damaged though so I had to buy another one, had it shipped straight to them

kiggy: possibly but as I said the aluminum is prone to warping, which is a really bad thing so I wanted Pit-Bull to do it because I know they know how to do it carefully

Old 05-07-2006, 05:07 PM

woody, who did you address the swingarm too when you shipped it. I was just wondering how they would know it is the swingarm for you since it is not being shipped from you.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:13 PM

I don't think they don't do this a lot, so I just told him when it would be there and there were no problems

I may have had my name put on the package, but its been a while so I don't really remember, I did tell them it was an F4i swingarm

just shoot them an e-mail if your concerned about it

Old 05-08-2006, 02:32 AM

Wow thats mint man I might have to pick up a set for both my F4i and 900RR

Old 05-08-2006, 04:16 AM

That is a really good idea and had thought of doing that too. However, you didn't need to go through the trouble of sending it to them for welding. Aluminum does have a lower melting temp than steel, and could warp, but since the swingarm is an extruded tube it's very stout and won't warp from a small weld job like that. You might want to touch up the welds with some paint to match the swingarm though. Over time the aluminum welds will oxidize and turn kind of white, plus it'll look better. In any case, it turned out really well. I also always park my bike on the pitbull rear stand...so much more stable than the sidestand.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:37 AM

for me sending it was easy, and I have the peace of mind knowing it was done right. And while its not likely that the swingarm would warp from the heat of welding, it is possible and Pit-Bull recommended I let them do it to make sure even though they didn't make a cent on it and used their own time to weld it.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:14 AM

nice they did a clean welding job

Quick Reply: Spools on an F4i