CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Speeding Ticket Question (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/speeding-ticket-question-67394/)

rtbconstrictors 04-29-2008 11:59 AM

RE: Speeding Ticket Question

Here in Florida 30+ is a mandatory court date where you go before a judge. The catch if found guilty you recieve 4 points against your record and cannot attend school to have the points removed. The maxium fine is also $500.00 or $1000.00 in a school or construction zone.
Here in Florida where I live the judges always give the max fine. also there are court costs, which vary.

muckdawg24 04-29-2008 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: rtbconstrictors

Here in Florida 30+ is a mandatory court date where you go before a judge. The catch if found guilty you recieve 4 points against your record and cannot attend school to have the points removed. The maxium fine is also $500.00 or $1000.00 in a school or construction zone.
Here in Florida where I live the judges always give the max fine. also there are court costs, which vary.
I tried looking up the laws, but couldn't find anything that the judge could levy against me. What county are you in?

rtbconstrictors 04-29-2008 02:04 PM

I'm from Flagler County. It sounds like your citation may have been east of the Sanford Bridge. I'm really not too sure about how Volusia County is in respect to courtroom procedures. the procedures can differ county to county.

rtbconstrictors 04-29-2008 02:12 PM

The speeding statues in Florida are written under 316.187 for state roads. I have to run out now but when I get back home I'll see if I can find in my statue books where if specifies the break down.
Also I've heard that Florida is considering if after 2 or 3 30+ over the posted speed limit citations in X amount of time the vehicle may be confiscated. The state has to vote on this and go through the legal procedures though.

Rick82 04-29-2008 02:22 PM

Yeah I'm from VA and I've seen monitored by aircraft signs all up and down 95, I've heard you gotta be going pretty fast to get picked up though...

TBFGhost 04-29-2008 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: randyjoy

It's pretty tough to confiscate a motor vehicle unless it was used in the commission of a felony (real hard)or that the vehicle was purchased from monies obtained in a felony (easier).
Not really, I mean in some states, they can take the car/bike if you fail to re-register it...so something simple like that can turn into an impound.

benvaldi88 04-29-2008 10:26 PM

won't take it away unless you were involved in a felony, just a hefty ticket

Kevin48 04-30-2008 01:21 AM

If your record is spotless and you got a ticket for doing 30 over, you can expect4 points and a fine.......if you plea guilty!!!. When you show up in court, the 1st time, chances are the officer who wrote you the ticket will not be there. The judge will give you a chance to enter a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest. If you plea guilty or no contest the judge will tell you what the penalty is and you will be done with it. My advice to you is plea not guilty then get a ticket attorney. The ticket attorney will be able to check the officers speed measurement certifications and make sure he has all his paper work with him. Also, the officer may not show up in court when the time comes. If he doesnt show, or doesnt have paper work, or the correct paper work, the ticket attorney should catch it and bring it to the judges attention. If thats the case, the ticket will be dismissed. Whatever you do, especially if you say you have a spotless driving record, dont plea guilty. Im in broward county, I know the officers innorthern FLare a littledifferent and seem to take everything personally, but dont get to stressed about the ticket. Your not going to loose the bike and your not going to jail.

RojerLockless 04-30-2008 01:35 AM

Bleh, I have a warrent out right now because I ran a light and they changed the cort date and i showed up and i had a warrent...

I really need to pay that tomorrow.. gonna put that on my list of to do's right now.

rtbconstrictors 04-30-2008 04:21 AM

Kevin48 You bring up several good points in your post, it seems you may have some experience in this situation lol. But one other quick thing - It's funny you say this "I know the officers innorthern FLare a littledifferent and seem to take everything personally," some people where I'm from have said the exact same thing about cop down there lol

RojerLockless here in Florida you license just gets suspended for most traffic infractions that are not taken care of by paying or going to court. Where your from is the warrant a cash warrant, meaning you just have to pay it and its done, or is an arrestable warrant, where of course you go to jail.
I think its amazing how states can vary so dramaticlly in the civil and criminal aspects.