CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   spare key (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/spare-key-118261/)

Monkeh 11-01-2010 10:11 AM

spare key

Hey guys, whats the cheapest way to get a spare key made, the hiss system is a real pita. Cant seem to find any blank keys online that have a transponder in them. and im betting a honda dealer will charge s**t loads for them.
Thanks Monkeh

crashking 11-01-2010 11:12 AM

idk but im very interested in what peeps say cuz I only have 1 key and I lose it all the time.....i went to wally world and they told me they couldnt make the key so......

Jay_J 11-01-2010 11:15 AM

I had 2 spare keys made at a local lock and gun smith place. Cost me a whole 6 bucks for both.

__Z__ 11-01-2010 11:19 AM

yea you dont need transponders for the f4i i do not beleive....

and like crash said certain places wont do it for you (because say you were trying to steal the bike thats a liability on them)

LegionHelium 11-01-2010 11:22 AM

I got a spare made about 2 months back at a lock smith and it was like 2 or 3 bucks and look about 5 minutes for them to do it. I've had keys made at hardware stores too, if you don't have any lock smiths near by. Also, I asked my local honda dealer if they could get me a key and they told me to go to a lock smith.

Kuroshio 11-01-2010 11:33 AM

Haven't had a bike with HISS since it's a euro device but that may change things. If you have the key code for the bike it should be fairly inexpensive for the dealer to give you a new key.

It's if you don't have it that might cause a problem

MitchA 11-01-2010 12:31 PM

The owners manual seemed pretty clear that my US 01 has HISS and if I lose one of the keys I had better get to the Honda shop with the key with the number plate and have a new pair made with the radio. I could be wrong though, may just be a generic manual not specific to the US market.

I'm kinda curious now and will have a std copy made at a local hdw store at my next opportunity.

The one good thing about my thinking is that Im very careful with my key :)

crashking 11-01-2010 01:55 PM

thanks for the help guys im gonaa stop off @ the local hardware store and get a key made up .....

bigboi18184 11-01-2010 02:29 PM

The 01' F4i i have doesn't have a transponder in it, you could just try out a cheap blank to see if it will start it. Better than spending the extra money and finding out later you didn't have to.

Or you can order a key blank from bikebandit.com that's were i got one of mine so i could have an actual Honda key and not just a metal blank.

Monkeh 11-01-2010 02:55 PM

My uk cbr600fs has hiss fitted so i need a key with a transponder in it. im gonna pop into my local honda stealership and see how much they will rob me.

HydroPrelude85 11-02-2010 12:39 AM

my bike came with one Honda key and i got a free spare that was just a blank it didn't have the black plastic or honda logo. The dealership ordered me another honda blank cost me 5 bucks and they cut it for free. Also all the local hardware stores wouldn't cut it for me they said they could but it might not work and they didnt want to mess up my honda blank. oh and one more thing the guy in parts at the dealership said its easier if you have the key code which on the little metal tab on your key ring when you buy new and if you don't you he said you could take the ignition out and its stamped on the bottom

Xander F4i 11-02-2010 06:57 AM

When I got my bike it only came with one key...I had a change cheap metal copy made and use it