CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   spare key (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/spare-key-118261/)

Monkeh 11-01-2010 10:11 AM

spare key

Hey guys, whats the cheapest way to get a spare key made, the hiss system is a real pita. Cant seem to find any blank keys online that have a transponder in them. and im betting a honda dealer will charge s**t loads for them.
Thanks Monkeh

crashking 11-01-2010 11:12 AM

idk but im very interested in what peeps say cuz I only have 1 key and I lose it all the time.....i went to wally world and they told me they couldnt make the key so......

Jay_J 11-01-2010 11:15 AM

I had 2 spare keys made at a local lock and gun smith place. Cost me a whole 6 bucks for both.

__Z__ 11-01-2010 11:19 AM

yea you dont need transponders for the f4i i do not beleive....

and like crash said certain places wont do it for you (because say you were trying to steal the bike thats a liability on them)

LegionHelium 11-01-2010 11:22 AM

I got a spare made about 2 months back at a lock smith and it was like 2 or 3 bucks and look about 5 minutes for them to do it. I've had keys made at hardware stores too, if you don't have any lock smiths near by. Also, I asked my local honda dealer if they could get me a key and they told me to go to a lock smith.

Kuroshio 11-01-2010 11:33 AM

Haven't had a bike with HISS since it's a euro device but that may change things. If you have the key code for the bike it should be fairly inexpensive for the dealer to give you a new key.

It's if you don't have it that might cause a problem

MitchA 11-01-2010 12:31 PM

The owners manual seemed pretty clear that my US 01 has HISS and if I lose one of the keys I had better get to the Honda shop with the key with the number plate and have a new pair made with the radio. I could be wrong though, may just be a generic manual not specific to the US market.

I'm kinda curious now and will have a std copy made at a local hdw store at my next opportunity.

The one good thing about my thinking is that Im very careful with my key :)

crashking 11-01-2010 01:55 PM

thanks for the help guys im gonaa stop off @ the local hardware store and get a key made up .....

bigboi18184 11-01-2010 02:29 PM

The 01' F4i i have doesn't have a transponder in it, you could just try out a cheap blank to see if it will start it. Better than spending the extra money and finding out later you didn't have to.

Or you can order a key blank from bikebandit.com that's were i got one of mine so i could have an actual Honda key and not just a metal blank.

Monkeh 11-01-2010 02:55 PM

My uk cbr600fs has hiss fitted so i need a key with a transponder in it. im gonna pop into my local honda stealership and see how much they will rob me.