F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Sold Ninja 650R, Bought F4i

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold Ninja 650R, Bought F4i

Well, I came across an interesting deal and pulled the trigger. I will always have a special place in my heart for the 650R. It was my first real bike. Truly, I wish I had been smarter and bought a used UJM or older 500cc bike to learn on. Here are a few reasons I made the change.

1) This was a truly unique deal. The bike I bought is a '03 CBR 600 F4iand it has 373 original miles on it!!!! The owner bought the bike new and the first thing he did is pull the wheels and have them chromed (actually did a good job with it). I am not a big fan of chrome but with the silver/black color scheme and the TBR slip on it does look really good. He put an aftermarket windscreen and billet pegs as well. Then, he got in a serious car accident and knew he wouldn't be able to ride for 3 or 4 years so after he got his settlement check he just sold it to a place that buys bikes (fast cash 4 bikes). I was concerned about it sitting but I couldn't see any fork seal leaks, tranny seal leaks, or and degradation of the tires (garage stored at all times).

2) I am a bigger guy 6'2" and 235 lbs. The lack of suspension adjustability was killing me. The 650R has preload only on the rear and nothing on the front. I had the preload all the way up and the sag was ok but not good. But at that high preload the bike would pogo pretty bad when it hit bumps. Having fully adjustable front and rear suspension and having a shop set it up for me should help stability a bunch.

3) Better brakes.

4) Sound...OMG. Personal preference here but to me nothing sounds better than I4's with a pipe. wow. My 650R sounded like a lawnmower...and if you put a pipe on them they sounded like angry lawnmowers.

5) Ergos aren't NEAR as bad as the modern SS bikes.The clip ons above the triplearen't too bad. The pegs are noticeably higher but not like R6, GSXR, etc. And when riding my Ninja, the horrible seat would make me have to stop after 1.5 hours anyway because my butt would be killing me. I didn't have all day comfort on the Ninja anyway. Also, most of my riding consists of Sunday morning runs down the local river to unwind, get away, that kind of thing. I don't tour (don't have time with a baby girl) and don't race (don't have money). All day comfort is not a big issue with me.

6) I felt myself getting lazy with the Ninja. The bike was almost too easy to ride. There was power everywhere in every gear (not a ton of power, but it was everywhere). You didn't have to think about gear or rpms. It was so flickable that it steered itself....the flickability was nice but it was also rather unstable...that is the prie you pay for flickability. My throttle control was getting lazy because you could ham fist that bike all day and not worry about anything. I think getting the F4i will ultimately hone my skills and make me a better rider in the end.

7) Variety is the spice of life...my goal is to ride every type of bike by the time I hit retirement. I already have ridden a standard, now I will try the true sportbike.

Here is a link to the craigslist site that advertised the bike:
http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/549117350.html

Now I have a few questions for you guys
- Are the stock D207 Sportmax tires as bad as everyone claims? I don't want to put a bunch of money into tires right after I bought the bike. They look great, no dry rot and still have the little hairs on them from being so new.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Banned
Default RE: Sold Ninja 650R, Bought F4i

Keep your tires, in a few thousand miles you'll be changing them anyway.

I do like the UJM thing, but they are all so ugly as compared to an old GPZ550. Welcome to the F4i club, they are a great all around bike and there is a lot of great info on this site. Use the search feature (that one is for you Voodoo) for alot more tire info as well as maintenance tips.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:34 AM

Sweet bike man. You madea good choice. Those rims do look good btw, and you scored with the two bros exhaust. That's a brand new bike, let the fun begin. Consider removing those stickers on the swingarm and chain guard though.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks guys. The first order of business is to get that God awful butt flap off there. Seems like most of the eliminator/undertail options are going to be a bit of a pain and a wee bit pricey.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: QB420

Sweet bike man. You madea good choice. Those rims do look good btw, and you scored with the two bros exhaust. That's a brand new bike, let the fun begin. Consider removing those stickers on the swingarm and chain guard though.
+1, rather than remove stickers from chain gaurd just pick up ahugger w chain gaurd attached like hotbodies or pit-eck,or dif chain gaurd etc, be sure to take digital pics of all stickers before you remove em, at least thats what i did, congratsagain

Old 02-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the great deal and welcome to the forum! Quite a step up from the ol' Ninja, be safe out there!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Grats.. but you are crazy as hell if you think the F4i seat is more comfotable then the 650r. i have both in my garrage and... your crazy.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:33 PM

welcome to the fam. nice bike

Old 02-14-2008, 08:40 PM

For one, you have a '05 and I have a split seat '03. My point was I was **** cheek limited at about 1.5 hours, so it shouldn't be much worse with the F4i. I assume my back/legs/wrists will be limiting my time between breaks.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:34 PM

I just bought the Minus One fender eliminator to clean up the rear end. I wanted to keep the stock tail light and the best part is that it was only $67.00 shipped!!! Apparently they went on sale.

Quick Reply: Sold Ninja 650R, Bought F4i