F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

So0o0o0o......

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So0o0o0o......

I got bored today and decided I would cut down my exhaust and make it a nice little shorty. I cut the can down to size, took out the packing and baffling, then i went to remove the rivets from the end i cut off so i could put everything back together. I bought a pack of brand new drill bits, put one in the dremel and it burnt the bit right up. I tried using a regular drill with a new bit and again the drill bit just got burnt up. I went through about 4 bits and they did NOTHING to the rivet. I tried to punch the rivet out with a nail set...nothing. I tried to grind the head off the rivet and that still didnt help. I dont know what the f*ck these rivets are made of or if im doing something wrong buuuut ill take any suggestions. In total i went through 4 drill bits, 2 cutting wheel discs, and a couple random other dremel bits i used when nothing else was working. (and yes they were high speed steel titanium nitride coated drill bits)

Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM

i did the same thing to my exhaust. It's really loud. I too tried drilling them out first but it didn't work. i ended up cutting the heads off the rivets with my grinder. Then hammered them out with a 3/16 punch. After that it was still kind of a pain to slide the tube off but i got it.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 PM

yeah im just using a dremel to grind them since thats all i have but i gave up once i started burning through drill bits and cutting wheels. I tried using a stone wheel and some other stuff too but those did nothing. I guess ill just keep grinding away at them with the wheels and hopefully ill be able to punch them through. I even tried using a half inch drill bit just to drll through the head of the rivet i dunno why these things are such a pain but whatever...im sure ill get em out eventually.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 AM

what kind of exhaust do you have? i have taken apart two brothers, d&d, scorpion, and leo vince.. and they all had aluminum rivets easy to take out with drill and bit...

Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 AM

On the plus side...I guess it's nice to know that they used quality material when putting that thing together. Sounds like a damn tank.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:06 AM

its a jardine. haha yeah me and my friend were just staring at each other like "whaaaaaat the hell are these rivets made out of?" weve cut/drilled through all sorts of stuff but these rivets were just chewing up drill bits and stuff like they were made of tin foil. I decided to cut slits in the can so the rivets could slide out and just hammered the end off with a mallet then cut the rivets from there.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 AM

Name:  exhaust5.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  93.5 KB

Heres a quick picture i took of the final product. I didnt put any of the packing back in, just the baffle. Im gonna ride around and see if its too loud/obnoxious for my liking and if it is ill pop the end off and stick some packing in there before i rivet it back together. It sounds and looks 1000 times better than before though but I only turned the bike on inside the garage. Tomorrow if its nice ill take it out and get some better pics of the whole bike and see how it really sounds as well.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 AM

Intercooler...race fuel...what ya got in there ?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 AM

I had a smaller 250 that I had set up for racing and I was on a budget so I modified the stock exhaust in the same fashion and it worked out really well. That is a good mod if you dont want to call attention to yourself from the cops.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 AM

i just cut my Jardine down last week and they were definitely aluminum rivets.. drilled through them like butter.. did u buy the pipe new? if not, its probably been re-riveted, maybe repacked or something and somebody used the wrong rivets..