F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

So many tire choices! Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So many tire choices! Which one?

Hey guys, before you ask if I have searched. I have but it still seems like there's a thousand choices for tires and im super confused as which to buy, they all seem to perform well but there is no clear winner. Plus all the threads are like two plus years old. Im looking for something thats going to wear well but will also give confidence in corners. Im new to the supersport world and Im still working on my cornering technique so I dont need anything thats going to be a trackstar. So lets hear what you guys recommend? Cycle gear has a special on Perrelis for 210+ mount balance. Where else can I buy tires for cheap?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

2012 Street Tire Test - Sport Rider Magazine

I like Dunlop Q2s.

Last edited by CJardine; 05-30-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running shinko stealth 002 front and rear and I'm enjoying them. 500 miles so far so they are just now getting scruffed in. They have dang good grip but only other tire I can compare to is Michelin tires. What I've read up they are good street tires with good grip. Front and rear plus mount and balance was 250$.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 PM

My last tires were Dunlop Roadsmart...got 10,000 miles from them.

I have Pirelli Angel ST tires on now, 6,500 miles so far. I prefer these to the Dunlops...the tread is wearing more even, particularly on the front.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 PM

Michelin pilot road 3's 2ct. I got 16,000 miles out of the rear tire and 20,000 miles out of the front. I get em off ebay and mount and balance them myself. They are best for my style riding which is commute and touring.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 AM

I ran Michelin Pilot Powers, both the dual compound and single compound, on both bikes with zero complaints. They warm up fairly quickly.

I've had the Pirelli Angel ST for maybe 1000 miles when I bought my second bike and they did not give me the confidence in wet and cold conditions.

Lots of my friends run Q2s, they swear by them.

I've also put a couple hundred miles on a 250R with Shinko Podiums. They are awful, in my opinion. I would recommend staying away from this brand if possible.

Overall, it's up to you which brand you run with. It's hard to compare without YOU taking it out and getting the feel. Each brand has different profiles and shape so each tire will make your bike behave differently in entering, continuing and exiting the turn. Also, are you considering trackdays or using the bike to commute? That impacts your tire choice.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin...who?
I ran Michelin Pilot Powers, both the dual compound and single compound, on both bikes with zero complaints. They warm up fairly quickly.

I've had the Pirelli Angel ST for maybe 1000 miles when I bought my second bike and they did not give me the confidence in wet and cold conditions.

I've also put a couple hundred miles on a 250R with Shinko Podiums. They are awful, in my opinion. I would recommend staying away from this brand if possible.

Overall, it's up to you which brand you run with. It's hard to compare without YOU taking it out and getting the feel. Each brand has different profiles and shape so each tire will make your bike behave differently in entering, continuing and exiting the turn. Also, are you considering trackdays or using the bike to commute? That impacts your tire choice.

Now I'm kind of concerned with running shinko stealth 002. So far they are great. I do all street commute to work and back with a few good corners and have not felt anything out of the ordinary. But like I said when I got my bike the tires were shot so I took it to a shop and told them what kind of riding I do and put some good gripping tires on her and lets keep the total under 400$. That's the tires they recommend according to how I ride.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:13 PM

Depends on what kind of riding you do. If it's mostly touring/commuting with some spirited twisty riding, get something like the pilot roads. For a sport tire, get the 2CT's.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by benchod
they all seem to perform well but there is no clear winner.
Bingo. Choose a major brand tire and you'll be fine. Shinko's don't count. From what you've said it sounds like you want a sport tire, so michelin pilot power line, dunlop Q2's, pirelli diablo's etc will all work.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by kevin...who?

Just commuting and some occasional touring rides to bear mountain and PA and stuff. But mostly commuting.

Quick Reply: So many tire choices! Which one?