F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

So I'm new to riding...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm new to riding...

So I was riding home tonight andIaccelerated reallyfast up to 80 mphand my turn came up quick so I started to apply both breaks, (I was somewhere between 3rd& 5th gear)then I pulled the clutch all the way in andpushed down on theshifter andit began to do what seemed like a bit ofslightly violentrattling around andmaking a lot of rattling noise,then after I slowed down more I down shifted again and itfelt like it dropped into gear andit stopped. My questions are these 1. What the hell was that? 2. Should I be concerned?

Old 02-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Default RE: So I'm new to riding...

Sounds like you may of not been in gear when shifting down. Like it didnt catch i have a had a rattling noise on mine like the gear didnt catch. just tried again and everything worked find. Thats all i can guess off of ur details.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: PRAXIS

1. What the hell was that? 2. Should I be concerned?
This issue is you, not the bike. Learn to brake from high speed properly. You don't want to be using the rear brake in a panic stop and you need to learn to downshift properly.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 PM

Sounds like rear wheel hop to me. Downshifting while at a high RPM and not matching RPMs and or braking hard enough on the front to unload the rear tire so that any little rear brake will lock the rear tire. Sounds like you need to work on "riding" before dicking around. If you cant properly handle the bike from that speed, simply dont do it. Learn how to handle that thing first. And yes, if you continue to do it with out knowing what you are doing, you will crash. So yes, be concerned.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:07 PM

+ 1 on the wheel hop.....we had one screwball in our group dropped his gears from 5th to second popped the clutch (didnt match rpms) and over he went.....practice practice practice.....what good is 70 mph if you dont know how to stop?....

Old 02-05-2007, 01:23 PM

yes you are getting picked on, but its because we dont want to hear a new rider going down because of inexperience. take your time, and be easy on that rear brake, its not the same on the sportbikes as it is on any other bike. sportbikes will lock up easier, and that isnt good

Old 02-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wheel hop does not cause a rattling sound...which should also accompany a vibration you can feel in your feet.

you were stuck in between gears for a bit.

for now, stay off the rear brakes.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:05 PM

i think tahoe is right, i believe your were stuck between gears. i would use engine breaking + little help form the front break to slow down and then when your around 5-6k rmps start shifting down.
why is everyone against the rear brake? i use it all the time. high speeds and low (depending on the situation). yes, i have locked up a few times but thats because i pressed it too hard and too quick. it can be difficult to manage but its good too know how to use it.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cause as a newb, the chances of locking it up in a panic situation increases by a billion fold ;-)

Old 02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Philosophical debate: Isn't the idea to train away your panic response so that you can use the proper controls the proper amount? Perfect practice makes perfect. I think shying away from the practice of using the rear is wrong.

Quick Reply: So I'm new to riding...