F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

So, I had my first fall

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default So, I had my first fall

Hello all,

Well, today, I was taking the bike to school, because here in Philadelphia, we are having like 66F weather and I said that it would be nice to ride in today.

After getting about 6 blocks from my house, a woman leaving a parking space (who incidentally, claims that she didn't see me) cut me off and while braking, I must have hit a pebble or something with the roads not being too dry, I took a spill. I was only going like 25-35MPH and I didn't even brake that hard.

Well, thank god, that I had my gear on, and there wasn't another car/cars coming in the opposite direction, because I could have been killed if one of them ran me over.

Too bad for me, the bike, and riding today.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to repair the broken plastic? or should I just buy some new ones? It is a cracked left front fairing and left side faring (when turned to the front of the bike, like when on it), a scratched clip/bar end, alternator cover and broken left mirror. Also, my left rear turn signal is broke too.

Here are some pictures:

Name:  DSCF0762.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  DSCF0763.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  DSCF0764.jpg
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  DSCF0765.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  DSCF0766.jpg
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  DSCF0767.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  DSCF0768.jpg
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  DSCF0769.jpg
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  DSCF0770.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  DSCF0772.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  DSCF0773.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  DSCF0774.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  56.3 KB

Well, the good news is that my frame is not bent, although the swingarm is scratches, I'm okay, and it looks like the steering column is straight too. Is there a way to double check that though, so when I get it fixed, it won't wobble or anything if it is loose or something from the fall?

The bike rides fine, because I had to ride it back home. It still shifts as normal, no damage to the foot pegs or levers, just the plastic, mirror, and turn signal.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by supersnake83; 02-12-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that sucks. I hate people who can not drive! As for the plastics if you are good at painting and fiberglass work then it is not too bad. I am sure there are some threads on here about repairing fairings.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 AM

that sux
i had a lady pull up on a side cross street, and stop
then while staring directly at me slowly creep into the road
it was a T-off for her, so she couldnt go straight ,but she wasnt turning eitherw ay
just staring at me with her mouth open and letting her car slowly coast straight out into
the road i was riding on
so i hit the brakes and almost come to a stop an dthrow my hands up at her like
what r u doing??/

either way, people are just dumb, thats all there is
idk anything about plastic work but like allout said, im sure if u search u will find

Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey supersnake83, sorry about your incident. I clicked on this post and was like, "Oh F**k!" The bike looks bad but it appears mostly cosmetic. The main thing is you didn't get injured; bottom line. Glad you're OK and heck, you can still ride your bike. I don't think your frame's going to be bent, not at that speed.
Did the police show up & take a report?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 PM

Thanks man.

Yeah, I'm fine, but no the police did not come. I didn't think I needed the police to take a report or get insurance since we did not collide, but my brother mentioned to me that because she cut me off and it was the primary reason why I fell, it could have made it to an insurance claims desk.

Too late for that now.

But, my main concern now is just getting the plastics fixed and I'll probably ask the guy who I purchased the bike from to repaint the two pieces since he had to paint it the first time, so I can have the black color match.

Anyone know what is a resonable price for the two fairings to be repainted?

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Man, I almost ended up in your situation THREE separate times yesterday. Here in Wisconsin we had a record near 60 degree day, so I decided to take the bike out.

Almost got hit going around some cars that were turning - the second car in the line decided to go around just as I was coming up behind him. Miracle I was able to keep the bike on two wheels when going through chunks of gravel and not-quite-melted snow.

Four way stop sign, two cars to my left and me going straight. First car to my left goes, I start going through the intersection, second car decided stop signs don't apply to them and started going through the intersection also. Missed me by only a couple feet.

Freeway, 70mph in the fast lane, someone directly to my right decides he wants to pass the person in front of them, and starts switching lanes. I can see the guy's head in my perif, and he didn't even flinch when looking over. Probably didn't even check his mirror. Thank god for bike acceleration. And hopefully the sound of my bike in 3rd gear and my horn at the same time woke his *** up.

Hehe, that's my rant for the day. Sorry you suffered a worse fate than me, since I was able to avoid all the retards.

To answer your question, the upper fairing can be repaired relatively easily using some fiberglass and/or plastic epoxy. The side fairing I'd scrap and find a used one off Ebay that doesn't have any cracks or missing mounting points (the big one on the side is pretty much gone). Then just do a little body work to repair any scrapes, and repaint.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fix the upper and replace the side. You can get one for less than 100 shipped on ebay, or here in the classifieds. The upper, not so cheap, not so easy to find, unless you go with aftermarket. Then you gotta worry about fit.. If you decide to fix it, pm me and i'll give ya a parts list and a step by step on what to do. It aint that hard. Materials will be around 30 bucks. Oh and get some frame sliders. 9 times outta 10 its not our skills (lack thereof), its the dumbasses on 4 wheels that send us down.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:15 AM
June 2011 ROTM

It would take some skill to get all of your plastics looking good as new. It would be alot easier and faster to just find a used fairing somewhere

Old 02-12-2009, 06:44 AM

PM sent!

As for the looking new part, I am going to do my best with whatever I can do with the upper and find a good lower to purchase. I already know that the bike may have to be painted and that is something that I will have someone else do for my lack of tools/knowledge of paining.

Anyone know what is a reasonable deal for painting all of the fairings for a motorcycle, if I cannot get just the two pieces of plastics painted black again by themselves?

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:36 PM
June 2011 ROTM

I would think around 500 hundred dollars. It all depends on the type of paint you use and how much work they need before paint. A buddy of mine painted his gsxr with house of kolors kandy burple and spent close to 3 grand

Quick Reply: So, I had my first fall