F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

So....How much of a beating can a CBR F4I take? Small wheelies and ticking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:13 AM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilInDisguise
Id rather use the extra money to buy a Two Bro exhaust and smaller sprockets for better gas mileage. I average about 40 MPG!
Smaller sprockets aren't going to get you better gas mileage. The only way a sprocket change will improve gas mileage is if you do a lot of highway riding then you will want to put a +1 front sprocket or -2 rear sprocket as it will lower your RPM's while riding around in 6th gear. Now keep in mind if you do this it will lower your acceleration but you will gain top end. If your going from light to light these changes really won't do much for you. Honestly 40 MPG is normal if not pretty darn good. My F4i averaged 36 and my RR averages about 38.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 AM

The F4i is bulletproof and this is well known. Your friend was mis-informed. Mine has 40K. I've totalled it, wrecked it multiple times to a lesser degree, and typically rag the **** out of it. I sit in traffic often causing the bike to run upwards of 200 degrees for extended periods of time. I wheelie regularly. Overall I put my F4i through hell and it still runs great. Give her your worst, she'll eat it up.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
If your friend recommended an R6 or GSXR, i'd say it's time to get a new friend.

F4i's are indestructible

220+ degrees is normal

clutch wheelies are the only way to go.
Pretty much this, except for the temps. Those are only normal at idle, running down the road they shouldn't be that high.
Originally Posted by R Dub
Honestly 40 MPG is normal if not pretty darn good. My F4i averaged 36 and my RR averages about 38.
I'd call it low end of normal, not good. I'll get 50 if I go easy like the OP normally does [4k shifts] and 45 if I have a little fun. I've only ever dipped into the 30's at trackdays and canyon laps.

Last edited by boredandstroked; 06-29-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
I'd call it low end of normal, not good. I'll get 50 if I go easy like the OP normally does [4k shifts] and 45 if I have a little fun. I've only ever dipped into the 30's at trackdays and canyon laps.
Wow 50 is really good. I don't want to make this into an MPG thread because there are a ton of those out there but here is a thread where a lot of people claim they get anywhere between 35-45 MPG. Here is another thread with about the same ranges so 40 is smack in the middle of it.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:00 AM

I guess the guy was just biased. But I know the CBRs are tough as hell. I just wanted assurance. Also about the sprockets is that true? I am not sure how many teeth sprocket I have but it looked after market and bigger than usual. My average MPG is like 35s or so. I get lucky to get 40 if I shift at like 4k RPMs but thats no fun. The F4I is a great bike but for some reason I feel like trading it in for a 929RR. Guy is willing to trade if I add some money and it only has 15k miles. IDK I mean he claimed the 929 Gets the same MPG as my F4I and its a lot faster. IDK I am still debating! I love my F4I too much haha! Thanks for the info everyone!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by DevilInDisguise
I guess the guy was just biased. But I know the CBRs are tough as hell. I just wanted assurance. Also about the sprockets is that true? I am not sure how many teeth sprocket I have but it looked after market and bigger than usual. My average MPG is like 35s or so. I get lucky to get 40 if I shift at like 4k RPMs but thats no fun. The F4I is a great bike but for some reason I feel like trading it in for a 929RR. Guy is willing to trade if I add some money and it only has 15k miles. IDK I mean he claimed the 929 Gets the same MPG as my F4I and its a lot faster. IDK I am still debating! I love my F4I too much haha! Thanks for the info everyone!
+1 to what other people have been saying about the mpg. I have been riding my same year F4i (16kmi) like I stoke it for the most part. Havent seen 6th gear in about a month, cruise at 7.5k+ and just filled up for 45mpg but I'm using premium.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Default Gas mileage and ragging the machine

Originally Posted by st34lth
+1 to what other people have been saying about the mpg. I have been riding my same year F4i (16kmi) like I stoke it for the most part. Havent seen 6th gear in about a month, cruise at 7.5k+ and just filled up for 45mpg but I'm using premium.
I find that I get around 46 miles per gallon unless I am hauling my wife with me then it seems to drop to around 40. I only weigh 170 and I am 5'5" tall (towering hulk of a menace I know.....) so it is possible that I get the mileage I do thanks to being so small. My wife is 4'11" and weighs a little under 130. I attribute the gas mileage going down with her because we do no highway riding together and I tend to use lower gears, to keep the torque on tap and I have precious cargo with me.

Now as for your question about abuse/use of your machine. I have only had my F4 I for a month, but I used to ride my friends quite often when I was in the Army (he was scared of it after a crash) and I am very familiar with Honda motorcycles; so long as you are not staying in the redline when the oh crap light comes on you should be good. The only thing I know of happening from wheelies is busting for seals if you slam it down too hard over and over. The rattling noise or ticking that you speak of sounds like the dreaded ACCT or Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner, which seems like it aint so automatic and the only tension it provides seems to be the tension caused to the pilot from all the excess noise. The popular remededy in this forum is the MCCT Manual Cam Chain Tensioner, which ironicly the popular claim is that most guys set it and forget it. Keep your fluid levels in check, (yours and your mount's) keep the oil changed, and be careful. What ever the issues are or demons are that haunt your life will pass brother let's make sure that you do to. Best of luck to you I will keep you in my prayers no matter if you like it or not.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Really? what the heck. I try to shift under 4k but I still do get 40 MPG. Theres no fun in it though. Wonder why. How can do tell how many teeth your sprocket have? When I bought mine is was just on and it looks like a bigger sprocket.

STU Pidasso : Hey man thanks a lot for the info. I appreciate it. I do love my F4I but sometimes it gets me nervous. I am still learning to trust it. I always fear it would break down on me (due to past bad experience that still haunts me) but I have been taking her out farther and farther away from home and she starts up right and never leaves me stranded and takes me home. I might keep her forever. About the ticks, I think its gone! I cant hear it anymore. I guess its just part of the bike and hopefully the previous owner took care of the CCT. Anyway about the rev limiter. I took it at like 14k a couple of times. The amber light came on also! I quickly shift though. So much adrenaline and pull! but I still cant pop wheelies! I tried clutching and still wont work!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 PM

R dub. Youi can turn it into a MPG thread haha! I also am curious on how to increase mileage while still riding hard haha!

Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

No DID, he cannot turn this into a MPG thread, nor can st34lth turn this into a octane thread like he did at the end of his post. We've had a bizillion [yes really that many] and if you search or just go back a couple pages from today you'll find plenty of info.