CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   So....How much of a beating can a CBR F4I take? Small wheelies and ticking. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/so-how-much-beating-can-cbr-f4i-take-small-wheelies-ticking-127577/)

DevilInDisguise 06-28-2011 10:13 PM

So....How much of a beating can a CBR F4I take? Small wheelies and ticking.

Hey guys. So I bought back my 2002 F4I. Has about 32k miles right now. And brand new oil (Shell Rotella Full Synthetic). To make a long short, I am going through a bad time right now with all the drama life throws at me so lately I have been hanging out (riding) with my bike a lot. Riding just makes me feel so relaxed and gets my mind off things. I put about 200 miles over this weekend just freeway riding where ever and going to the beach which is about 50 miles back and fourth. And just got home from a ride so miles are just racking up so quickly! Anyway lately I have also been trying to wheelie and riding hard. I usually ride so mellow and shift at about 4k or 5k RPM but lately my bike has seen 13k to 14k accelerations and the little shift light comes on. I also tried to power wheelie so many times like bring the bike to about 5k RPM then gun it hard! its fun as hell and could feel the front end come up an inch or two. I tried clutch wheelies but failed. I also ride it everyday to work and its getting hot here! at one point my Anyway bottom line of my question is how much of a beating can my bike take? I am usually easy on it but some days I push it to the limits. I started to worry because I could hear ticking or rattling from 1k to 4k RPM. I also ride the work everyday. It starting to get so hot here and in traffic lights and slow speeds my bike reached 220 degrees plus! a guy told me that I am putting a lot of stress on my bike and wont last long. IDK if it is true but he told me to get an R6 or a GIXXER cause they can take a lot of beatings. He rode some sort of Yamaha R6S. I met him at a gas station. Anyway I just have to ask this question. I hope the F4I is one of the toughest bikes out there. Thanks for your time!

F34Me? 06-28-2011 10:24 PM

The 636 and F4i are the two most popular stunt bikes because of their ability to take a beating. Your F4i has a lot of miles, but it should still hold up pretty well to a good flogging! If you describe the rattle a bit better we can probably help more, it could be several things. Does it have a manual CCT?

thirdgenlxi 06-28-2011 10:36 PM

I did a trackday on mine at 206k miles..... I'm sure you'll be fine, lol. F4i's are some of the most rock solid bulletproof bikes you'll ever find.... seriously!

The ticking noise you're hearing is likely just your CCT. If that is indeed what it is, put an APE manual tensioner in it, problem solved =)

DevilInDisguise 06-28-2011 11:00 PM

F34Me? : Well the 30k miles was put on by the first owner, so IDK what kind of CCT was put in! Anyway the tick is at about 1 - 4K RPMs. Its not loud but if you listen closely you can hear it. Its a soft rattling what it is. I am was thinking its because I put 87 octane thats why the engine knocks but I read using 87 octane is good.

Thirdgenlxi : Dang man I cant believe you answered my question! you are like the hero of the F4I world! Thats so cool though talking to you. I cant believe you put that much mileage on your bike. I hope though that my bike would last me forever. I rack up miles so quickly cause its my main commuter and my main buddy haha! instead of hanging out with friends I just ride my bike for days to watch sunsets and sunrises. Lol Thanks a lot guys. I was actually thinking of just selling my bike and get one with lower mileage but Id rather use the extra money to buy a Two Bro exhaust and smaller sprockets for better gas mileage. I average about 40 MPG!

Dodgehemi7 06-28-2011 11:41 PM

Thirdgen,
That is a ton of miles. I hope my f4i makes it that long.

RedBaron 06-29-2011 02:48 AM

Stop "beating" it.... sportsbikes arn't ment to be ridden hard :icon_teeth:

05CBR600F4i 06-29-2011 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by RedBaron (Post 1073243)
Stop "beating" it.... sportsbikes arn't ment to be ridden hard :icon_teeth:

thats a crazy comment...they wouldnt have made a high performance machine if you couldnt push it. thats like saying "f--k her gently". these motors are made for riding and getting on it! get a cruiser if you dont believe it should be ridden hard. Its a "sport bike"! AS for that ticking noise, i have ready many threads that ticking is normal. the way you are describing it seems normal. Now if your Knocking thats a different story but ticking is normal for these machines

RedBaron 06-29-2011 04:25 AM

Haha i knew someone would bite....calm down dude it was a joke.

fragoso87 06-29-2011 04:33 AM

ive had 3 f4i's and all of them had a light tick at 2-3k, pretty normal warmed up and i put my bikes thru beatings, within speed limits of course:icon_angel:

Sick97SS 06-29-2011 08:30 AM

If your friend recommended an R6 or GSXR, i'd say it's time to get a new friend.

F4i's are indestructible

220+ degrees is normal

clutch wheelies are the only way to go.