F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

This so cool!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This so cool!!!

ORIGINAL: ampfp

I have serious doubts whether 2 sq.m. inductive loops can be triggered by 2" magnets... your spark plugs and metal parts cause way more interference electromagnetically than could a small magnet. Instead I'm +1 for stopping right over one of the lines.

Here's a simple test... WALK over to one of the signals with a magnet in hand. This will be a good test whether the magnet triggers anything (assuming you're not part android). PLEEEEASE do this test and post the result someone! Hold the magnet a couple of inches from the ground (maybe tape it to the top of your shoe and walk into and around the loop?).
I've got an idea. Since you thought of it, YOU could test it and let us know what happens.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 PM

When I took the msf course, they told us to stop over the sensors, turn off the bike, and start it back up. I haven't tried it yet (all the lights where I live are on timers), but I'm pretty sure it works it the instructors told us to do it lol

Old 09-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would if I had a magnet like that.
And I'm seriously requesting that someone will test it... although it might have sounded rhetorical. I'll be glad to be wrong on this count if it saves me some stoplight time!

About stopping/starting the bike, that can make sense as it does 2 things: generates a lot of interference due to the starter motor etc, causes a sudden movement of metal and powerful magnet coils inside the inductive loop. Some people advise revving a little and/or rocking the bike side to side (dont drop it!)

Old 09-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Retired Moderator

I've had the strong earth magnets out of an old computer hard drive on my bike for years; it's hit and miss but I do know it works from time to time on lights that never worked previously.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:11 AM

lol. a 14hz strobe light will change just about any stop light and you don't even have to wait. should use an infrared filter on it though so nobody can see it.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:03 AM

Question: If the magnets are so strong then why do you need to tape them?!

Old 09-29-2007, 01:57 AM
Retired Moderator

I don't know about the ones in that link but the hard drive mags I used didn't need any adhesive .. you could damage your finger if it got between the mag and metal since it has such strong force. The only reason I can think of is that there really isn't much of anything metal underneath the bike & you need to be careful not to put it too close to anything electrical. I could only find one tiny spot that would work on my bike but it got the job done.

Edit: btw, I dunno if you're supposed to face the mags "pull" side down towards the ground or not?!? Maybe that's what the adhesive is for?? Mines not facing that way and still works from time to time.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:06 AM

yeah seriously on this experiment, what side is the magnet suppose to face the ground? is it the positive or negative side?

Old 09-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Banned

The light clostest to my house doesn't 'see' me, I am gonna try it.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

The light clostest to my house doesn't 'see' me, I am gonna try it.
CAll the DOT..I had one near my house and it NEVER saw me,me and a few others that ride called them.In a week or so they came out and adjusted the "sensitivityof the reading area . No more issues with that light sense..

Quick Reply: This so cool!!!