F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Smoke coming out of tail pipe at high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:44 AM
IDL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke coming out of tail pipe at high RPM

Someone behind me told me that when I was going full throttle I had some white smoke coming out.
What does this mean? I am kindof suspect of my PCIII but am not sure.

thanks!

Old 08-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Smoke coming out of tail pipe at high RPM

White smoke is caused by coolant or water coming out the tail pipe. There is a chance that the white smoke was caused by water splashing up from a puddle onto the exhaust pipe. Keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator in any event.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Banned

White smoke is caused by coolant or water coming out the tail pipe.
+1. White smoke is water, blue is oil and black is fuel. If this were a car I would definitely agree 100%. But, This is a bike with some mods.

The only thing else I can offer is that I have read a pile of posts about this problem (white smoke)and each one of you has a PCIII. I am not sure if you are really seeing white smoke or it just looks that way from the angle or lighting. My vette (1970 454) puts out black smoke and lots of it so it is easy to see the color. A bike with only a tiny motor may not put out enough smoke to actually see the color, at high speeds it is even harder due to dilution. My guess is the PCIII because Honda didn't make it.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 AM
IDL

My bike is kept ina garage and the roads weren't wet when the smoke was noticed. Apparently it was quite visible.
I'm going to disconnect my PCIII to see if there is any difference, and I'll check my coolant as was suggested

Old 08-20-2007, 12:10 PM

My guess is that your friend might not know the difference between "white", "blue" and "black" smoke. How many miles on the bike? Do you constantly pound on it (does it see a lot of high rpm)? In my opinion if it was "white" smoke you would see it throughout the rev band. "Blue" and "black" smoke is something that you are more likely to see at high rpm. I'd keep an eye on the water levels, but i'd also keep an eye on the oil. Just make sure that you're not consuming oil. Granted it will be hard to notice since you'll be losing such a small amount. A good way to check the problem and be more sure of the issue is to pull the plugs. They will show you exactly whats going on in that motor. It's kind of a pain in the *** so you might want to "verify" that "smoke" before you take your bike apart.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:17 PM
IDL

That is a good point about not being able to tell the difference. It was a girl that doesn't know much (anything) about bikes and she was driving in a car.
I should be able to see the smoke myself if it's in neutral and I rev the engine up while i'm looking at it.

A few things to do when I get home from work today..

Oh and my bike has about 29000 Kilometers (18000 Miles)

Old 08-21-2007, 11:02 AM
IDL

Well I got my bike home and reved it all the way up to 14K (didn't sustain it) and I didn't see any smoke at all.

My bike was running a little rough through so I took out the PCIII and it actually made it a bit better. WTF
Could it be possible that my PCIII is hosed? It seems ok like I can remap it and whatnot but I don;t notice much difference in the maps when I ride. When I first put it in it made my bike run SMOOTH but then I changed the map and it sucks. Changed it back to the good one and still sucks. I know my bike can run way smoother than it does now but I don't know what to do.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:17 AM

You should go have your bike tuned. Ive had a PCIII for a few years and my bike has 26,000 miles on it and it still runs great.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:52 PM
IDL

ORIGINAL: DThompson

You should go have your bike tuned. Ive had a PCIII for a few years and my bike has 26,000 miles on it and it still runs great.
If I get my bike tuned does it matter if the PCIII is running or not?
Like is it best to leave it in while being tuned?

Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 PM

You will need to have the PCIII in while being tuned. This way the shop can create a custom map to make your bike run best with the modifications that it currently has. The factory ECU will not accept a custom map. You need to know that dyno tunning is not cheap. And you pretty much need to have it re-tunned everytime you add a mod.

Quick Reply: Smoke coming out of tail pipe at high RPM