F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Slip on - Power Commander - Filter question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip on - Power Commander - Filter question.

Can someone educate me or point me in the right direction of a good article to read up on all of these products.
I tried doing a search but I guess everything is quite vague.

I'm just trying to get an overview of the proper way to get these items on your bike and some basic tech. I've been riding for a few years but haven't really dove into the how to's yet.

What i'm asking is if you get an Air Filter and a Slip on exhaust - do you have to get the PC? and do you just get a pre-done map?

Is there anything wrong with just having a slip on and filter?

Thanks - sorry if these appear to be bad questions - just remember there are no dumb questions - just dumb people.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:16 AM

Slip-ons and Air Filters are possible the easiest mods you can do and aside from sprockets they are the only mods that will give you any increase in performance without significant engine work.

Installing a slip on is as easy as unbolting your current exhaust can and midpipe from the headers and replacing with the new one.

An Air filter is a little more involved but shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. The air filter is under the gas tank so you will have to remove the gas tank. You won't have to completely remove it but you'll want to pull it back to allow enough space to get at the Air box. You'll need an 8mm wrench for the front gas tank bolts and an Allen wrench for the rear bolts under the seat. After the tank is out of the way you'll have to open the air box with a philips head screw driver. Open the air box and there is your air filter.

Exhaust options are plentiful. Air filter options are pretty much K&N and BMC

The weight saving attributed to adding a slip on is generally significant. The horsepower gain is no as significant but every bit helps right. You'll also gain a bit of horsepower from an Air filter.

Slip-ons are generally advertised to not require any re-mapping of the air/fuel ratio via PowerCommander. Also, adding an air filter shouldn't shift your A/F ratio so much as to absolutely require remapping. However, to fully take advantage of these upgrades you would ideally install a PowerCommander.

As far as mapping for PowerCommanders go, DynoJet provides pre-made maps on their website to accomodate most popular set-ups. In a perfect world you would benefit the most from having a capable shop make a custom map for your bike. However, these are expensive and the DynoJet approved shop by me said they wouldn't because "it's just not worth the money because pre-made maps are good enough".

Old 06-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks DBEAU - that was a solid answer. I've already put a RS3 Yoshi exhaust on and was worried I was doing some harm having not adjusted anything driving around the past year.

Guess a new filter is my next easy mod. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:33 PM
June 2011 ROTM

I have a jardine rt 1, k&n and a pc3. I just have the standard jardine rt one map loaded. It made the bike run really rich. I had to tweak it a bit.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 PM

I'll have to come back here for some advice once I get my set-up all finished.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You'll gain nothing from an air filter. Get one if it makes you feel warm and happy on the inside but not because you want to go faster. A slip on won't give you anything noticable because it dosen't really increase exhaust flow at all, same reason you don't need a PC3 if you install the slip on.

Last edited by boredandstroked; 06-08-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:13 PM
June 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
You'll gain nothing from an air filter. Get one if it makes you feel warm and happy on the inside but not because you want to go faster. A slip on won't give you anything noticable because it dosen't really increase exhaust flow at all, same reason you don't need a PC3 if you install the slip on.
Remember though, with buying a K and N filter you can just clean and re oil it instead of buying a new one. Plus I could actually hear my bike sucking in more air when I got on the throttle after making the switch.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:55 PM

Better sound is worth it in and of itself! Slip-ons are pretty much for the look / sound anyways.