F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Short in Electrical? No fuel pump or headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
my ramp just happens to be with me too. good thing i didnt take it home. i can come help if need be.
Just might take you up on that if this other guy falls through. He sent me a message right as I was getting ready to respond here. Appreciate the help, I'm still keeping hopeful I can give it a good smack and get it started like last night, or find an allen wrench to check the BAS and bypass it so I can exclude one more issue.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

ok, just let me know. good luck.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Not the BAS. I tried to jump the green/red and it didn't make a difference. back to the drawing board tomorrow. Looks like it's spending the night here at work and I'm just going to trailer it home tomorrow after work.

Last edited by dveldtf4i; 11-09-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 PM

i'm leaving work soon. last call for assistance this evening...

lets hook up for a ride sometime, after you get it running.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
i'm leaving work soon. last call for assistance this evening...

lets hook up for a ride sometime, after you get it running.
For sure. I'm already at home so I'm just going to rent a trailer and figure it out this weekend. Thanks for the offers I just didn't want to waste your time if it turned out to be more than a short. Easier if I just bring it home.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 PM

Dont worry about wasting my time, I enjoy working on them. Besides, you are only 10 min away. Good luck. Im sure this thread will continue as youre tracing the problem.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:34 PM

where did you check the BAS? at the sensor itself, or the main harness (by the left intake tube)? i had a similar experience after pulling the upper fairing a while back. my situation ended up being the main harness wasn't making a solid connection on the green (BAS ground) wire.

symptoms were everything worked like normal, except no headlights with brights indicated & no fuel pump prime

Last edited by Xander F4i; 11-11-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i
where did you check the BAS? at the sensor itself, or the main harness (by the left intake tube)? i had a similar experience after pulling the upper fairing a while back. my situation ended up being the main harness wasn't making a solid connection on the green (BAS ground) wire.

symptoms were everything worked like normal, except no headlights with brights indicated & no fuel pump prime
Yeah, I checked it at the sensor itself since I didn't have the tools to get my seat off, but I got my hands on some allen wrenches from a guy down in service. I'm going to pull my seat tonight after work since I'll have some time and verify that the battery and fuses are good. Probably be too dark to start tracing wires tonight, so that's going to have to wait until tomorrow. I'll definitely check the connection at the main once I get everything off.

I'm 99% positive it's a short since when I hit the headlight on Tuesday night, everything popped right back on. Smacking the headlight since doesn't seem to be doing anything this time around though.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:06 PM

Yeah that basically sounds like the problem with mine, as soon as I took the headlight off mine some things moved around and then it worked and then went back to not working.. As soon as I found the issue and jumped that wire to the negative terminal of the battery everything worked fine (I mean, before I burned through another ground somehow by not tightening the fuel lines tight enough leading to spills which of course burned and burned a ground line, but that's beside the point). If you take a voltmeter to the positive ends of the headlights and connect the other end of the voltmeter to ground are you getting 12 Vish?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by thebuch
Yeah that basically sounds like the problem with mine, as soon as I took the headlight off mine some things moved around and then it worked and then went back to not working.. As soon as I found the issue and jumped that wire to the negative terminal of the battery everything worked fine (I mean, before I burned through another ground somehow by not tightening the fuel lines tight enough leading to spills which of course burned and burned a ground line, but that's beside the point). If you take a voltmeter to the positive ends of the headlights and connect the other end of the voltmeter to ground are you getting 12 Vish?
When I first tore it apart, my high beam was only getting like 9vish, regular beam was getting 12. So I popped the tank up, and checked everything I could. Everything was 12 at the main harnesses so I know it's a short somewhere in the headlight area, most likely a ground, but I couldn't track it down. Once I reconnected, I was getting 12 on the high beam again.

After fiddling with it and checking connections and whatnot, everything popped right on, so I'm wondering if I just had a loose connection from when my front end was worked on. Running fine today, no problems turning it off and on so I'm not sure, I didn't really have the time to trace every wire. I have some days off coming up next week, so as long as I'm running this week, I'll probably pull the front fairing and try to trace it down and make sure all my grounds are good.

Quick Reply: Short in Electrical? No fuel pump or headlights.