CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Short in Electrical? No fuel pump or headlights. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/short-electrical-no-fuel-pump-headlights-132223/)

dveldtf4i 11-09-2011 10:58 AM

Short in Electrical? No fuel pump or headlights.

So it turns out I'm having a fuel pump problem too, and I'm currently stuck at work with no tools. Anything I can check without tools? I've been running half naked so my lower fairings are off, but I can't get to my fuse box under the seat without tools.

I'm pretty sure I have a short though, because it did this last night, and I gave my headlight a firm bump and everything kicked on. Started up fine this morning, made it all the way to work and turned it off. Figured I'd check it really fast, but it was dead again, no fuel pump or headlights.

Any thoughts? At least I found out early today, was about to be a long night last night, I have time to mess with it on my breaks and at lunch.

Sick97SS 11-09-2011 11:19 AM

You can check your bulb connections without tools. Just pull the rubber cover off.

If you have a loose headlight connection the fuel pump wont prime.

dveldtf4i 11-09-2011 12:05 PM

Checked the headlight connections, everything looks tight. I did just have my forks worked on about a month ago, wondering if they knocked something else loose in the front. Still dead in the water, but I'll have more then a few minutes to look at lunch. Need to get my hands on a screw driver and some allen wrenches so I can get the ram air covers off.

dveldtf4i 11-09-2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS (Post 1112452)
You can check your bulb connections without tools. Just pull the rubber cover off.

If you have a loose headlight connection the fuel pump wont prime.

I also just saw a previous post on another head light thread, and you mentioned the starter switch can cause the head lights to stop working.

Would this also prevent the fuel pump from priming? Would I be able to test this without many tools? Got my hands on a phillips and some allen wrenches so I can take the ram air covers off and give me some more space to look around for shorts. I'm on the search for a 10mm to get my seat off and check fuses, but that's proving to be a chore around here.

Hoping I can get going before I get off work instead of picking up the truck and trailering her home.

dveldtf4i 11-09-2011 02:58 PM

Update: Pulled the covers at lunch so I had more room to play around. Wiggled and messed with every wire I could get my hands on, and still nothing. Unfortunately I don't have enough tools here to seriously diagnose, so I'm going to have to figure out how to get it home tonight, so I can tear it apart this weekend.

74demon 11-09-2011 03:14 PM

does anything else work? taillights, dash lights, etc? could the battery just be loose? could be a charging issue as well. gotta get the seat off.

at least its not raining.
where in socal?

dveldtf4i 11-09-2011 03:20 PM

Irvine right now, but I live in La Habra (fullerton/brea border)

Tail light and dash are lit up. I'd say it's a charging problem, but it started up fine this morning after sitting all night. I'm 99% positive this is a short somewhere, I just don't have enough tools or access to them to properly diagnose it while I'm at work.

74demon 11-09-2011 03:29 PM

i'm in aliso viejo. if you dont find tools or the problem this afternoon, i can bring you some after work and try to get you going.

dveldtf4i 11-09-2011 03:35 PM

That would be great, but if I cant get it running I'm just going to take it home in the truck.

I'm going to try to check the BAS and try to bypass it (if I can find a small enough allen for the wind screen) and if that doesn't work, then my girl is just going to bring my truck to come get me and we're going to man handle the bike. Trying to find a ramp off ocmoto but not having much luck there yet.

74demon 11-09-2011 03:43 PM

my ramp just happens to be with me too. good thing i didnt take it home. i can come help if need be.