F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Shifting up help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've never used a clutch before thus, are dumping it. And that's just practice. Just need to be more fluid and quicker with your motions.

Personal opinions here, but self proclaimed "new riders" PROBABLY shouldn't be giving advice.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry was just trying to relate to the same thing it sounded like that happened to me .. wasnt trying to give bad advice just offered what a veteran rider helped me with...

If i offended or gave bad advice i apologize..

Old 02-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR5150
sorry was just trying to relate to the same thing it sounded like that happened to me .. wasnt trying to give bad advice just offered what a veteran rider helped me with...

From what I saw you didn't give any bad advice nor did anything wrong. Your explanation was detailed and the advice spot on as it related to your explanation

Sometimes a new rider can relate to another new rider relaying a similar experience. So no worries. And don't be afraid to speak up. You'll notice nobody said you were wrong

Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 AM

i think the guy who said i dont think i know how sensitive the throttle is might be right....now when i think about it the same kind of jerks was happening when i was on my buddies zx6r...this was my first time riding a bike ever...a year b4 i got my own...i guess i gotta roll more gently on the throttle...thanks 4 all the advice tho i really appreciate it....Im going to ask you guys about any problems i have with this 3500 dollar investment i made..

Old 02-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBR5150

Yeah, no one on here is really rude or mean. Sorry if it came off that way.

What I meant was that the people who are just like "I'm a new rider, have been riding for about 3 minutes, and I think I know the answer" I'm on a bunch of other forums for other vehicles, and we get a lot of that. So I was just trying to stop a problem before it started.

But seriously, carry on posting. More advice, no matter if it's different, the better.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:55 PM

Hi,

I'm not a new rider, but i recently moved into sportbikes.
It's pretty hard to explain the problem I will try my best.

I've been riding my 2002 f4i for a few weeks now and I have a similar problem:
-After I shift-up (let's say from 2nd to 3rd), when I roll up the throttle to accelerate, for the first second (from lowest rev to until it engages) it feels like the chain was loose and it just snaps tight again. It's like a short kick.

-When I roll the throttle forward, no matter how gently and slowly, the last second before the end (before the lowest revs -idle rpm), the same feeling: like a momentary kick.

I adjusted the throttle cable, the clutch cable, tried low rev idle and higher as well, and always the same feeling. My oil is new, and the chain is tight. First I thought it could be due to the injection, but now it's starting to annoy me, every up shif is followed by an initial "kick" in the beggining of the aceleration.

Sorry if its not too clear, but it's hard to put into words.
I think it's the same thing the op is describing

Old 03-17-2010, 10:34 AM

i'm pretty sure its just an issue of "power come on" that they have tried to smooth out in bikes over the years. pretty much the feeling that your throttle is an on-off switch when you go from coasting or no power (clutch in) to reapplying that power, it feels like an abrupt jerk. my ninja 250 does this sometimes and i think its just a product of having multiple steps for the power to go through e.g. transmission then to the chain.

i personally attribute it to riding a high rpm high power bike at lower speeds. in my experience everything smooths out at higher speeds and rpms.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Registered Users

hey guys, im having this issue and not sure if its me or the bike. basically, when i shift from 1st to 2nd it sounds like the chain is making a clanking noise, like its not grabbing quick enough, by the front sprocket. it doesnt happen all the time but i dont know if its cause im not lifting the shifter up firmly or if something is wrong with the sprocket or chain. any advice?

Old 05-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your chain slack efeliciano? Since you said it sounds like the chain, verify the slack is good. Tho a loose chain would generally be accompanied by a lurch.

If it's a clacking, not a clanking, noise it may be that you're not firm enough putting her into gear.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Registered Users

K, how do I measure the slack? I honestly think I may not be shifting firm enough because occasionally ill get stuck in n. However, I'm just trying to be certain. As far as the noise is concerned, I can't tell the difference from a clank and a clack, it just sounds like the chain/sprocket are having difficulty matching up. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Shifting up help?