CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   She got wet (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/she-got-wet-97402/)

supersnake83 07-19-2009 08:17 AM

Thanks for the additional replies.

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex (Post 812009)
Only thing I can really think of, not sure if it affects anything.. your exhaust is a great angle for water to go right in and fill up if its sitting in the rain long enough. Running its not a problem because the pressure doesn't allow it to enter. Think of farm vehicles with straight up stacks.. theres reason they have flappers when they are not running. I noticed my bike sounded and acted kinda weird after washing it one time.. now I try to avoid the pipe.

Could that be the reason for the put-put lawnmower like sound when I first start my bike up?

Does it take a few days for it to go away if it is water in the exhaust pipe or should it evaporate rather quickly?

I was going to look at the air filter to see if it was still wet, but the directions for that was slightly different from the 01-03 F4i (for which I have directions for), but I have an 04.

I noticed the difference was mainly due to the screws for the old style seat, but I shouldn't have too much of a hard time because its still pretty much the same. I will probably do that today or later this week.

xjoewhitex 07-19-2009 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by supersnake83 (Post 812144)
Thanks for the additional replies.

Could that be the reason for the put-put lawnmower like sound when I first start my bike up?

Does it take a few days for it to go away if it is water in the exhaust pipe or should it evaporate rather quickly?

I was going to look at the air filter to see if it was still wet, but the directions for that was slightly different from the 01-03 F4i (for which I have directions for), but I have an 04.

I noticed the difference was mainly due to the screws for the old style seat, but I shouldn't have too much of a hard time because its still pretty much the same. I will probably do that today or later this week.

Thats what mine sounded like.. and I couldn't even figure out why just thought later on maybe I hit the pipe with a hose. But it should work its way out sooner or later.

As for the filter, I also have an 04 and its not too bad to get to. Best to do this with a tank thats about empty if not your gonna have some trouble like me lol. But Pop off your seat, remove the gas tank bolts front and back. Pull the tank up and you should be able to access the bolts around the top of the air filter. Theres quite a few of them.. but once those are out it should pop right off and the filter is laying there on top.

orags 07-19-2009 02:41 PM

Should be no problem, probably a little water got into the exhaust. Ride it and you should blow away any gremlings. I ride my bike everyday, rain or sunshine.

Nothing as good as riding her when she's all wet... LOL.

supersnake83 07-19-2009 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by orags (Post 812244)
Nothing as good as riding her when she's all wet... LOL.

Indeed! :D

Thanks for all the help. I didn't get a chance to look and see if the air filter got wet today, even though it was real nice outside here in Philly. I didn't even ride. Just too tired as this is my only day off from both my jobs.

I'll check it out another day and post up some results or if everything gets back to normal, I'll say so as well.

Thanks again.

Phillyf4i 07-19-2009 07:42 PM

snake next time your around campus let me know!

PlayfulGod 07-19-2009 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by supersnake83 (Post 812285)
Indeed! :D

Thanks for all the help. I didn't get a chance to look and see if the air filter got wet today, even though it was real nice outside here in Philly. I didn't even ride. Just too tired as this is my only day off from both my jobs.

I'll check it out another day and post up some results or if everything gets back to normal, I'll say so as well.

Thanks again.

replace it with a K&N and you wont have to worry about water soaking it :icon_wink:

supersnake83 07-19-2009 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Phillyf4i (Post 812355)
snake next time your around campus let me know!

I am up at HSC almost everyday. I haven't been to main yet due to my work-study job being very busy at HSC. If you ever want to go riding send me a PM.

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod (Post 812356)
replace it with a K&N and you wont have to worry about water soaking it :icon_wink:

Thanks for the advice. I will order a K&N soon then.

mikey49 07-19-2009 09:15 PM

If the air filter got wet it should dry with time but since you still have symptoms, Change out the air filter and while you are there look for puddles in the air box and/ or any rust.
Hope this helps.
mikey

purpleslug 07-19-2009 11:18 PM

does it only do it when the bike is cold?