F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Downshift rpms stay down

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshift rpms stay down

Hello,
I have posted a few different topics in the past all leading to this current problem. Every time we "solve" the last issue, I think "phew, it's over". But as you see, I'm here again. The same issues I've been having have come around again. They never really fully went away but sporadically show up and cause me to sit on the side of the road a few minutes. Now my hopes are to diagnose the problem and this time I have more information that may help the experienced persons figure out what I need to do.

In the past posts i described my issue to be a lose in power/torque. But that headline is very vague and non informal. Today I was able to pay more attention to what's going on and when it happens. It consistently happened today.

On my way home, riding at a normal pace about 60-70mph, I come to a situation where I need to slow down and speed/rpms were low enough to merit a downshift to increase my speed again. I pull in the clutch and downshift... now I'm not 100% if the clutch pull in or the downshift starts the issue... when I do this the rpms drop to next to nothing, and twisting the throttle to get them back up seems only to bog them down further. Then suddenly the rpms will respond slightly and I'm able to complete the gear change but now I have little power and no torque. I'm slowing down at this point involuntary, and if going slow enough the bike will stall. Crazy part is, most of the time once I start it back up, it's responsive and power/torque is all present. I'm able to shift through and pass anything. Then when needing to downshift either it acts normal or is does what I just described. Last time I posted i was told to listen for the fuel pump, my bike is loud so I can only listen for it when it's at idle. And when I did this, it sounded like it was operating normal.

Please and thank you to all the help I can get,
M. Crippen