CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Second test drive of the day... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/second-test-drive-day-136455/)

JoeSTL 04-06-2012 10:11 PM

Second test drive of the day...

From my other post today, I test drove an 06 F4i this morning. Had an awesome time and I absolutely loved the bike. To keep my options open, I test drove an FZ6 this afternoon. Very different bikes. My only experience with riding so far was on my MSF course and the GS500 I've been riding over the last year, so today was the first time I've ever ridden anything over a 500.

I was surprised how much low end torque the FZ6 had, much more than the F4i. It actually surprised me more than the F4i did. The F4i had much better handling, smooth power delivery, and although it shouldn't be the deciding factor, I thought it's a much 'cooler' bike...lol. The FZ6 is no slouch though. I thought it had plenty of power for my needs, though I didn't feel as confident on it as much as the F4i. At times it was very jumpy. Considering experiences alone, the F4i wins.

Now both bikes are the same year, 2006, and both basically stock. The F4i's KBB value is roughly 4500, and the selling price is 4500. The F4i has 6500 miles. It also has one small scratch on the right side fairing and a small crack in the upper cowling. The tires are stock and will probably need to be changed within a 1000 miles or so. Full coverage insurance is about 625/year.

The FZ6's KBB value is roughly 4000, and selling price is 3600. The FZ6 has 1500 miles on it (guy lives 2 miles from work, and has never been on the highway). Cosmetically it is absolutely perfect, not a single scratch or ding anywhere. The tires are stock as well, and they look practically brand new. The same full coverage insurance is 325/year. So if I bought the FZ6, right off the bat, I'd be saving 900 and another 300 in insurance. On the value side, the FZ6 wins.

I realize this is a CBR forum, but put the fact that you own a CBR aside (if that's possible...lol), and tell me your opinion on which bike is the better choice and why. In case you're wondering, mostly the type of riding I do is around town or to/from work.

gotcbr 04-06-2012 10:52 PM

The F4i is a true sport bike. The FZ6 is not...its more of a sport touring bike w/a more upright seating postion & more agreeable touring ergos. Yes, the FZ6 its still sporty but not a true sport bike.

I found this quote from one article on the FZ6... "Multipurpose, go-anywhere do-anything middleweight; the FZ6 is just as happy taking you to work, for a brisk sport ride or on a weekend tour." You said, "In case you're wondering, mostly the type of riding I do is around town or to/from work. So, this may fit your needs. Question is - does it fit your wants??? :)

You sound like you're a mature buyer doing his homework & research on what bike to buy. Just continue that process & work thru the options that appeal to you the most.

JoeSTL 04-06-2012 11:03 PM

Funny thing is, before I did the test drives I was mostly sure I wanted the FZ6. Then after the F4i test drive, that's all I wanted. Then after the FZ6 test drive, I'm kind of 50/50.

Kuroshio 04-06-2012 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well first off, both bikes will need new tires if they are dealer stock. Tread doesn't matter. They at least 6 years old. They're hockey pucks now. Not particularly safe for and experienced rider, never mind a new rider. I have an 06 F4i that came with stock tires. I can't tell you the number of times I slipped the rear tire in gentle, low speed turns. So you're gonna be out at least $200 with either bike immediately. So that's a bargaining point.

Next question: do you have any gear? If $4500 is your budget, the FZ6 is better because it will leave leftover cash to buy gear if you don't have any. I shocked myself when I calculated I put on about $2000 worth of gear just to ride to the corner store. And i don't own leather riding pants yet :p

Personal opinion, the F4i's price is high.
Attachment 39593
My 06 with similar mileage, 1 scratch on the tail from the original owner's wife's high heels, alarm, led kit, sliders, new Power Pures and fender eliminator . If I were considering selling it, I wouldn't ask for more than $4000 concrete.

Honest opinion, based on your current intent I'd say the FZ6... but I can guarantee your intentions will change. Especially if you get the F4i. The road... calls you :) The F4i will almost demand twisted curves to straighten out. It won't be satisfied commuting. :D

Honda3575 04-06-2012 11:36 PM

If money isnt an issue... F4i wins hands down... its just a sexier bike :) ... sure the naked bikes have some appeal, but it better say ducati on the tank... Go with the F4i... However, if you prefer a bike that screams function over style... by all means hop on the FZ6... but I'll put money on the fact that everytime you see an F4i on the road you'll feel pangs of regret well up inside... so do the right thing... and buy an F4i... i wont say buy this particular one since, as mentioned by other members... it seems priced a bit high.

JoeSTL 04-06-2012 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 1147390)
Well first off, both bikes will need new tires if they are dealer stock. Tread doesn't matter. They at least 6 years old. They're hockey pucks now. Not particularly safe for and experienced rider, never mind a new rider. I have an 06 F4i that came with stock tires. I can't tell you the number of times I slipped the rear tire in gentle, low speed turns. So you're gonna be out at least $200 with either bike immediately. So that's a bargaining point.

Next question: do you have any gear? If $4500 is your budget, the FZ6 is better because it will leave leftover cash to buy gear if you don't have any. I shocked myself when I calculated I put on about $2000 worth of gear just to ride to the corner store. And i don't own leather riding pants yet :p

Personal opinion, the F4i's price is high.

My 06 with similar mileage, 1 scratch on the tail from the original owner's wife's high heels, alarm, led kit, sliders, new Power Pures and fender eliminator . If I were considering selling it, I wouldn't ask for more than $4000 concrete.

Honest opinion, based on your current intent I'd say the FZ6... but I can guarantee your intentions will change. Especially if you get the F4i. The road... calls you :) The F4i will almost demand twisted curves to straighten out. It won't be satisfied commuting. :D

Thank you very much for your input. Good tip about the tires, I never really thought that the FZ6's tires would need to be replaced. I do have good gear. I have 1 entire season (I know...LOL) under my belt. HJC helmet, Alpinestars leather jacket, Cortech leather gloves, Icon riding boots, and I wear knee protection under my jeans.

The bike I rode was exactly like your pic. What a looker! I agree about the price. Though every F4i in the area, regardless of year, is selling for around 4500.

Considering everything, I am leaning towards the FZ6. It's not definite though! lol

Aken 04-07-2012 01:01 AM

Look at your intentions both now and down the road.

Do you see yourself wanting to do more spirited riding? Does the "thrill" of the sport bike world entice you? If so, get the F4i, so you don't have to change bikes when you're suddenly "bored" of the FZ6.

On the other hand, if you don't really see yourself getting into the sportier side of motorcycle riding, the FZ6 would be more suitable. It'll also save you money.

They're both great bikes for different reasons. You just need to figure out which one suits you better.

74demon 04-07-2012 09:16 AM

Look around for an f4i thats a few years older and cheaper. That way you save money and get a better bike. With the money saved, you can buy gear, tires, or do other mods.

R Dub 04-07-2012 09:58 AM

My buddy has a 2011 FZ6R so I have some experience on that and owned a F4i and they really are two completely styles. The fz6r is a good bike no doubt but just not my style. It doesn't have the power or the handling the f4i had. When we ride together I could easily blow him out of the water in straight line speed (without breaking the law of course) and in the turns. He went with the fz6r because it was less expensive, gets better gas mileage (he commutes 60 miles a day) and had less power since this is his 1st bike which I thought was a great idea. You need to find out what style you want then you'll know what bike to get.

Kuroshio 04-07-2012 10:56 AM

That's why I mentioned changing intentions. The F4i will give up some to the FZ6 on longer rides. Not as much as you might think tho, cause of the Nana seat and slightly less aggressive riding position compared to a RR.

But it has more potential than the FZ6 and capability IMO. You can take her to the track or into the back roads with no worries. She'll be in her element. Hell, if you get crazy she'll stunt her ass off. Low end torque can be fixed with a sprocket change and a PC. But the F4i has no shortage of power anywhere really for your experience level. Trust me, if you need to suddenly get out of that executive's way who's replying to emails on his crackberry, a twist of the wrist and a push of the bars is all that's needed to make her get gone.

Saving money and ONLY commuting: FZ6
Commuting and potential: F4i