F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Seafoam/Fuel Stabilizer??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seafoam/Fuel Stabilizer??

I will be away from my f4i for 6 weeks
Due to some moronic urge I filled my tank up yesterday [:@]
After I return I'll be doing a 12k service on it including changing air filter, spark plugs, brake fluid and other work like putting in a slip-on

I was thinking of putting in a little seafoam when I service my bike, just to clean up the engine at 12k. Does this make sense? And then if I'm running seafoam later anyway, should I put in fuel stabilizer in my tank at all before I leave?

Opinions please...

Old 12-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seafoam/Fuel Stabilizer??

6 weeks wouldn't be long enough to do any real damage, cuz gas will last longer than that, but the seafoam can't hurt !! It's GOOD stuff.... just be sure you don't use too much or it will smoke, but even that won't hurt it. Makes good sense to use it every now and again, and like I said, won't hurt anything. You want the tank to be as full as possible when it sits for any length of time at all, esp if your in colder climate. The more gas in the tank the better cuz it leaves little room for moisture/condensation. I was recently having trouble w/my truck stalling after a cold start, like it wasn't getting enough fuel. Pressure was good, and the filter is in the tank and not easily changed, so I put a can o seafoam in figuring "what the hell" After two days the stalling was gone, and the whining I was hearing from the fuel pump is gone too. Love the seafoam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2006, 04:29 PM

Great... one more question:
I've included text from the seafoam website... I thought it was to be put only in the gas tank... but the website mentions other places too... where all do we put seafoam in a f4i?

From <http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm>
1. With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
2. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
3. Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
4. Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.

FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:40 PM

You can use it in the crankcase, but you gotta be carefull not to leave it in cuz it thins the oil. I've never had a problem w/that, but I don't leave it in for long. I will/have put 1/2 can in and ran the bike (my old 02 f4i)for a day or two, being carefull not to flog it too much, then changed the oil. Its similar to the old-man trick of adding kerosen or trans fluid to the oil for a cleaning, which i would NOT recommend you do to you bike. Because the clutch plates are lubed w/engine oil, you can't use some of the crank cleaners made for cars. Also you want to keep in mind that some product will remain even after you change the oil. It won't hurt to have a lil in there, but you may want to bump up the weight of the oil untill you change it again. Using it in the oil is a lil more involved than just putting some in the fuel. Follow the directions and you can't go wrong, but if I was you, I would just try the gas for now and see what you think. Like any cleaner, it takes some time to do its thing, and this stuff is not meant to boost performance or power. Some customers have told me that it made their car run a lot better, but I wouldn't ever sell it to anyone by telling em that ! It works wonders as a cleaner tho, and is well worth a try for the $5 bucks. Is a great fuel stabilzer too, so thats an added bonus. At 12k, you prob don't have much of a build up of shtuff in the crank anyway. LSS, try the gas thing and see what you think. I've used this stuff for 5 years or so in everthing from airplanes, cars, trucks, motorcycles, lawnmowers, boats, go carts, and I've never had a problem w/it, except for some smoking, which is normal, and goes away when you get untreated gas back in it. Post up your results/thought about it tho, after you ride it when you get back.

ps, let the bike run for a while after you put it in so it gets into the injectors. A bunch of it just sitting in the tank won't do you much good, cept for stabilizing the fuel.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:24 PM

You have fuel injection so the gas wouldn't puddle anywhere. if you had carbs, the gas can sit in the bowl and coat the insides. Happened to my ex's bike.

I LOVE seafoam. I should put some in my tank next time I fill up

Old 02-07-2007, 11:55 AM

Certainly impressive. Went to the local NAPA yesterday and got a pint. Put half of it in the tank as they said on the label, and rode off. Now comes the unbelievable part: within the first mile from NAPA, my engine progressively got smoother so that the buzziness in the handgrips reduced by a noticeable amount! That's never happened before when I ran the bike, so it must be the seafoam. After riding on and off through the day I think my bike's already running a lot smoother.

So I'm tempted to put it in the crankcase (would service mechanics do this if you took the bike in to the dealership?), but I'll try to hold off if it has side effects. My oil does get a little turbid/darker than its original color, which I believe is normal, dunno whether it's more/quicker than usual.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:20 PM

Good responses and advice here.

Also check out: https://cbrforum.com/m_105946/tm.htm

Sea Foam is great stuff!