F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

School the poor F4i noob

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School the poor F4i noob

I just bought a used F4i today, I pick it up friday.Its in fantastic shape, with 12k miles.

So what should I know?Anything typically fail that I should look out for? Common problems? Aftermarket must-haves? Do 55w HIDs work?

Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Default RE: School the poor F4i noob

yeah i just put 55 watt hids in my f4i that i just bought.... like last thursday lol.
i would like to also no the do'es and dont's. and the must haves, and the common problems

Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 PM

Get your motorcycle license, take the motorcycle safety course, wear protection, get a good helmet. Drive responsibly.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:27 PM

welcome to the forum man.

In a couple more thousand miles, your CCTL will start to rattle at around 5500 RPM. It's totally harmless, but will drive you insane.

At 16,000 miles, it says to adjust your valve clearances. Skip that for now (unless this bike was beat to hell by the previous owner).

At 20,000 miles, you'll have some weird electrical issue that you'll easily fix with dielectric grease.

At 22,000 miles, you'll drop your OSU colored bike in front of about 150 people in a tailgating parking lot at michigan stadium [:@]. *** OSU and *** my bike for having OSU colors with your ohio tags. [:@][:@][:@]

At 25,000 miles, you'll check your valve clearances just to discover you just waisted 300 bucks.

Somewhere at around 30,000 miles or so, your FPR will start pouring raw fuel into the engine.

at 40,000 miles, you'll ask us why your headlights aren't working just to discover your starter button is engaged.

at 50,000 miles, your MAP sensor will crap out.

did i forget anything?

Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: kpipalldaway

yeah i just put 55 watt hids in my f4i that i just bought.... like last thursday lol.
i would like to also no the do'es and dont's. and the must haves, and the common problems
Did you go with the slim ballasts? Do you have any problem with draw(slow to turn on, flicker, turn off)?

ORIGINAL: Stephens

Get your motorcycle license, take the motorcycle safety course, wear protection, get a good helmet. Drive responsibly.
I'm a few stepsahead of you but thanks.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 PM

no problems what so ever with them... except they are way to blinding hahah
and no they are not slims. i tucked the ballast (if you where sitting on the bike) in front of all the gauges and shi+. it took some muscle but it will go it.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: kpipalldaway

no problems what so ever with them... except they are way to blinding hahah
and no they are not slims. i tucked the ballast (if you where sitting on the bike) in front of all the gauges and shi+. it took some muscle but it will go it.
Thats cool I still have a hook-up for the slim ballasts so I will go that route, just wondering if there were any power issues.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:05 PM

get flush mount lights so you dont have the huge ugly stock ones... and a loud pipe.. loud pipes save lives..

depends on the colour i have the red and white.. get rid of the red chrome windshield alot of them seem to have.. my personal preference but they look just brutal!!

safe ridin bud!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: gonerippin

get flush mount lights so you dont have the huge ugly stock ones... and a loud pipe.. loud pipes save lives..

depends on the colour i have the red and white.. get rid of the red chrome windshield alot of them seem to have.. my personal preference but they look just brutal!!

safe ridin bud!
The bike has flush mounts but they are tacky looking so they will be replaced. It also has a Micron High Mount with a black can. The previous owner apparently painted the windscreen so thats going to have to be replaced too.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:21 PM

When I got my bike I just googled f4i and read. You will learn a ton without coming on the forum to ask simple questions that have been asked and answered a million times. It will also save you all the smart remarks and people calling you a newb.

Quick Reply: School the poor F4i noob