CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Sawz-all-ing the stock fender (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/sawz-all-ing-stock-fender-117702/)

600F4inoober 10-15-2010 11:25 AM

Sawz-all-ing the stock fender

Well its about that time, my bike looks sleek and clean exept for that monster growing down the back of my tail...Looks like my bike is taking a number 2....

I know it has been covered 16,o76 times, and I have looked at all of the DIY fender eliminator threads etc..but I'm looking for some pointers as I will be hacking off the fender today.

Does anyone have advise on how to tackle this uninstall? Essentially I will be keeping the stock keyhole location and omitting the rear signals and bracket below the keyhole.

Here's what I plan on doing, and please give you advise on this approach.

1. Rip off rear blinkers/rubber plastic housings while trying to keep wiring intact (for future blinkers) Should I just cut the wires and tuck em?

2. Starting 1/2" under the actual keyhole, where the license plate bracket meets the vertical piece of plastic that the keyhole is housed, I will cut in a horizontal line with a sawzall. I will then clean up the cut edge with a dremel or sandpaper.

3. Drill two holes in the plastic under the keyhole for mounting two bolts through license plate.

Anybody done this and/or have pics?

What are your thoughts?

Okstate2011 10-15-2010 11:47 AM

The previous owner of my bike had done this already. He/she had taken the turn signals off and replaced them with small LED lights. They only have 4 LED per light so it is not that bright. I also used the hole that were for the stock turn signals for a license place holder. Currently have it zipped-tied lol

600F4inoober 10-15-2010 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Okstate2011 (Post 977393)
The previous owner of my bike had done this already. He/she had taken the turn signals off and replaced them with small LED lights. They only have 4 LED per light so it is not that bright. I also used the hole that were for the stock turn signals for a license place holder. Currently have it zipped-tied lol

Post pics here!!:icon_razz:

ga_skyline_rydr 10-15-2010 11:59 AM

Have you ever thought of using integrated turn signals? I once had a bike that had them and I liked the sleek and clean look of them. Underneath the taillight/integrated signals was the license plate and that was it. To me it was a good clean look all the way around.

600F4inoober 10-15-2010 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ga_skyline_rydr (Post 977397)
Have you ever thought of using integrated turn signals? I once had a bike that had them and I liked the sleek and clean look of them. Underneath the taillight/integrated signals was the license plate and that was it. To me it was a good clean look all the way around.

I believe I would lose my keylock location should I do an integrated turn signal? The only reason I am even keeping that small amount of black plastic bracket is bc it houses the keyhole.? I am not sure what is involved nor what my options are in relocating the keylock should I omit the whole black plastic bracket all the way up to the taillight?

600F4inoober 10-15-2010 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Was thinking about trying this. Cutting a keyhole in my plate then using LED white light bolts to illuminate? I mean here in Arizona the cops are pretty anal but as long as the plate is illuminated then I doubt they would care or can even SEE that I cut a hole in the plate. As long as the hole dosent cover any number/letter of course. Worth it?

Attachment 52981

ga_skyline_rydr 10-15-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober (Post 977406)
I believe I would lose my keylock location should I do an integrated turn signal? The only reason I am even keeping that small amount of black plastic bracket is bc it houses the keyhole.? I am not sure what is involved nor what my options are in relocating the keylock should I omit the whole black plastic bracket all the way up to the taillight?

Okay I didn't realize the F4i had the key hole on the plastic black bracket. Funny Honda put the keyhole on the hump in back of the driver's seat below the pillion on my 954 whereas the pillion seat pops up for use as a trunk. The bike where I had the integrated signals was a ZX 7r which had the key hole on the side of the tail. With your situation you would have to do a rework of where the key lock would go, and that I don't know how to resolve.

gotcbr 10-15-2010 02:05 PM

Sounds like you're thought it out pretty well.

If you're going to use a sawzall, make sure you have your fender clamped down really really well, or that blade will catch & do more than you want. ;-) If you're going to be cutting it while its still on the bike, its a good idea to have the bike be as stationary as possible. Have someone sit on it while you do this. Anyway, be sure to leave some extra material below your measurement line(s) to allow for finish-sanding/smoothing.

You can cut it back & still keep your signal mounting locations. However, if you're wanting that area cut away as well, then *yes* keep your wiring & just tuck it up out of the way until you decide on your new signal configuration.

I think mounting the plate below the key lock is the better idea. I wouldn't ever recommend altering your license plate. While you might would get away w/ it, why chance a fix-it ticket that would require you to purchase a new plate? Could be a costly mistake.

MeanGreenZ71 10-15-2010 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres what I did. Mine is also an 06 so that changes things some. I cut right up to where the stock signals mount and cut it straight all the way around. I used a cutting wheel on the dremel cause it makes quick, clean cuts. Then a tiny bit of finish work with a razorblade then sand paper. I drilled 2 holes in the plastic and mounted the plate with stainless bolts. I added some short stalk signals as well. They are brihgt too.

Attachment 52979

600F4inoober 10-15-2010 03:22 PM

I got my hands on a buddies Dremel MultiPro..might be easier, more stable and more effecient than a sawzall...Im not sure if I have the right bit to cut through this thick hard plastic easily though...what am I looking for here? I can always run to sears and buy the bit...but what bit am I looking for? (A link or pic of the bit would help)