F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Same oil in bike for 14 mths...Problems?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same oil in bike for 14 mths...Problems?!

Guys I've had the oil in my bike for just over a year. Haven't had time to change it. I put just about 4k miles on it this past riding season. I live in the north so it's quite cold out and the bike is on stands and I have put up her up for the winter in heated storage.

Should I be concerned about oil sitting in there til April/May? Or should I make an effort to change it before then? Any possibility of any internal damage, fatigue or corrosion I should concerned about with old oil not being changed for such a long period?

Look forward to hearing any input. Thanks.

Bike is an '02 F4i.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:31 PM

I would change it new oil can sit in a crankcase a long time but once its been run combustion gases that make it past the piston rings will start to break down the oil. If you can't change it then at least make sure you do before you run it again. It's q Honda. It will be alright.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
I would change it new oil can sit in a crankcase a long time but once its been run combustion gases that make it past the piston rings will start to break down the oil. If you can't change it then at least make sure you do before you run it again. It's q Honda. It will be alright.
Sounds fair.

Is it important to start it with the old oil to get it circulating and the temp up and do the change? Or should I get the old oil out while its cold and start the bike after the oil and filter change?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 PM

Guys will argue both sides of that question. Personally I would get that old oil out and new in it before you run it. That way you're not running the old stuff through your bearings for more than a second or two before your pump pushes the fresh stuff in and mixes in the little bit of old oil in with the new stuff and dillutes it.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 PM

I would usually run the bike to operating temps but if it's in a heated location, pull the drain plug and filter and let it drain over night. Then finish the oil change, run it for a couple mins, let it sit a couple then check the level. Then relax all winter and buy stuff for next season.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 AM

Guys the input have been great. Did not think of letting it drain overnight. From what you're both saying, it sounds like I want to avoid running the bike with the old oil. I was originally going to take it out for a ride to get the oil warm and easier to drain but I'll just skip starting her and let it drain overnight. Really love my F4i, I'll be keeping her for a long time.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wont hurt a thing, but would be better to get it changed.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I run my bike with old oil in it all the time. I start it up once a week to about 140 or so just to get things moving. I'm not concerned with it damaging anything internal. Just my 2cents

Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM

My opinion is that this is much to do about nothing. Time shouldnt factor into the equation, it doesnt matter. What does matter is the mileage on the oil. 4K, while some may freak out is not that many miles. If you have decent quality oil and replace the filter each time 4k is nothing. (That said though if you live on redline and run in hot temps 4k means its time to change). I wouldn't worry either way but I would always warm the bike up to operating temp to get as complete a drain of the old oil as possible.

Just my thoughts, not arguing

Old 01-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blow by gases in the oil can cause a acidic reaction and cause premature failure when left on bearings for a period of time. New oil is always the best equation. My idea must work since I change out the oil all the time and I have the original motor from 1969,

Quick Reply: Same oil in bike for 14 mths...Problems?!