F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Sad Sad day, please help possible hydrolock :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad Sad day, please help possible hydrolock :(

I was just riding to a bike get together with thousands of people north of Madison, WI while we hit some harsh storms. While in town a car decided to pull out in front of me and as I downshifted the bike lowsided and slid for about 10 feet and I ran to turn it off. When we got it up and out of the road we tried to start it and nothing happened, and on the third attempt it turned over, but didn't start, and now it just won't turn over period. Checked all the connections/fuses and plugs and just curious as to if it's for sure hydrolocked or if you guys think it could be something else.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

-Honda CBR 600 f4 1999

Old 05-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Did the bike dump into deep enough water to clear one of ram air intakes while running? If so... its hydro locked.

If the intake closest to the ground wasn't submerged its unlikely.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Do F4's have tip over sensors? If so then the bike would have died before water got into the motor. Also if it does try to reset it. Disconnect the battery for 5 min and it should reset itself.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 PM

Pull you plugs, its common for it to OIL hydro lock. if you haven't done the clean air mod. May have passed some of the oil ect. Pull your plus to see if theres oil on them where they are fouled.

My friend andrew blew up his f4i. He dumped it, got filled with oil, and since it fired up, and one cylinder was loaded, it threw the #3 rod out the front.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 AM

No from what I can remember 99-00 F4's do not have tip over sensors. You are probably most definately hydro locked. (if I was a gambling man that would be my guess) Pull the plugs all out and then put a rag over the open cylinders and turn it over for about 5 seconds at a time take a break then another 5 till nothing spits out and it will spew the oil out. Put plugs back in and fire it up. It should start and you will get some smoke out for a minute as it will be burning the remainder of the oil out the cylinders. Then once you have it running pull your plugs and clean them and put them back in and then you should be good. I hope this helps. Maybe someone with even more exp. in this department will chime in as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 AM
June 2012 Ride of the Month

Man that's ****ty. Damn cages not watching what they're doing, probably texting or playing with their ipod. Were you at the Slimy Crud Run?

Last edited by City Bike Racing; 05-07-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered Users

Sure enough the cylinders were all clogged up, and yeah we were on our way to the crud run when the mishap happened and weren't able to make it there =\ How was it, didn't really seem like it was gonna be a big turn out but I could be wrong. Also anyone else that this has happened too, I am curious as to if I need to spend the $46~ dollars for a new air box intake filter or if I should be good to just reassemble everything and just let the oil burn out manually.

Thanks! You've all been a huge help.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:38 PM

i would imagine some stuff would creep past the rings over time, but if you're not opening
it up then definitely turn it over with the plugs out. but what if there was sand in that water
that snuck past your filter.. scraching your cylinder walls..
If you open it up its recommended to replace the rings as well, which is 27.33 a set per piston.
on the bright side of that, you could clean all the carbon off the pistons with brake cleaner and do a valve adjustment!!
and about the oil i would probably change it now, and then change it in 300 miles or less, but thats just me

Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd a compression test before I bust open the engine. go badgers!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 PM

yeah, not a bad idea, worst case scenario would be sand or a broken rod.
but yeah, you say sure enough it was clogged up, i assume you took the plugs out and
turned it over and watched water spew out? water doesnt compress so hopefully you
didnt break anything.

edit: nvm i assume you mean oil leaked up inside the cylinder, you can probably do the same thing
and watch oil spew out.
i dunno if it was good, but i put some marvel mystery oil inside the plug hole of an old honda xr80r
and slowly kicked it, then quickly kicked it to get all that junk out, dunno why i did it, i guess
to free it if it were stuck.

Last edited by RudyGT; 05-08-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Sad Sad day, please help possible hydrolock :(