CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   RPM's and Shifting gears? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/rpms-shifting-gears-135838/)

Bryantsito 03-22-2012 12:20 PM

RPM's and Shifting gears?

Hey All,

I Know this may sound like a dumb question, but I am new to my '01 CBR 600 F4i. Is it normal to be shifting at 4,000-5,000 Rpm's? I have no Idea if my bike was tuned or if anything was changed on it before I restored it from sitting for 6 years, I am guessing it is just stock. My speed in first gear is about 15-20 mph before I shift to second, and then 30-40 before I shift to third, if want to reach 50-60 mph i need to be in 4th gear. I am shifting at about 4,000-5,000 RPM's each gear. Does this sound normal? for stock settings?

thanks,

74demon 03-22-2012 12:32 PM

your dogging your motor. the power band is just starting to come around the 5,000rpm mark. rev it much higher when accelerating. when you get to cruising, and not accelerating, you can choose a gear to lower the rpm and save fuel, then kick it down when you need to punch it. you will also want to keep some good rpms during cornering to help it turn. throttle maintenance is huge when turning. that's a different lesson though.....

demon

Bryantsito 03-22-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1142959)
your dogging your motor. the power band is just starting to come around the 5,000rpm mark. rev it much higher when accelerating. when you get to cruising, and not accelerating, you can choose a gear to lower the rpm and save fuel, then kick it down when you need to punch it. you will also want to keep some good rpms during cornering to help it turn. throttle maintenance is huge when turning. that's a different lesson though.....

demon

So this is normal as far as my bike is good? what is "dogging" the motor?

so it is ok to go past 5,000? Because it feels like the motor is working real hard at like 6,000 RPM. and I can cruise at 4,000-5,000 RPM in the gears.

kdbolt70 03-22-2012 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bryantsito (Post 1142962)
So this is normal as far as my bike is good? what is "dogging" the motor?

so it is ok to go past 5,000? Because it feels like the motor is working real hard at like 6,000 RPM. and I can cruise at 4,000-5,000 RPM in the gears.

Our bikes redline over 14k, so 6000 is not going to hurt it at all. In fact you're just getting into the power band at that point. During aggressive accelleration I really ring it up there, shifting at 12k or so. Just normal cruising I'll shift around 6k maybe, and cruise at the highest comfortable gear. I don't drive around town at 6k-7k, maybe more like 4k.

estate4life 03-22-2012 01:33 PM

Get out of first earlier...say what yours doing at 4000-5000rpm. 2nd & 3rd...take it pass 6000rpm, between 6000-9000rpm wouldn't hurt the engine if you have significantly maintain bike.

If a cop next to me? I'll shift at 4000rpm just to keep the pipe quiet...lol

Aken 03-22-2012 02:11 PM

It's not uncommon to shift that low when you're just putting around in the city, and you're only likely to go 30-40 MPH. I personally think it's stupid to cruise at that speed in 3rd gear, because the RPMs are annoying and it's **** gas mileage.

Use your bike as a gauge to see if you're in the right gear at that speed. If you let go of the throttle and it jerks a lot, you're in too low of a gear. If you accelerate and it kinda hesitates and bogs, you're in too high of a gear.

And shift where appropriate on how fast you need to go. Like I said, low RPM shifts are fine for city - you don't need to hit powerband when you're going 35 mph. Obviously if you're on a freeway on ramp, you'll shift later. Try not to over think it.

kdbolt70 03-22-2012 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Aken (Post 1142979)
It's not uncommon to shift that low when you're just putting around in the city, and you're only likely to go 30-40 MPH. I personally think it's stupid to cruise at that speed in 3rd gear, because the RPMs are annoying and it's **** gas mileage.

Use your bike as a gauge to see if you're in the right gear at that speed. If you let go of the throttle and it jerks a lot, you're in too low of a gear. If you accelerate and it kinda hesitates and bogs, you're in too high of a gear.

And shift where appropriate on how fast you need to go. Like I said, low RPM shifts are fine for city - you don't need to hit powerband when you're going 35 mph. Obviously if you're on a freeway on ramp, you'll shift later. Try not to over think it.

Good point. I honestly don't know where exactly I shift at because I never look at the tach. It's all about sound and feel.

MadHattr059 03-22-2012 04:50 PM

Of all of the advice, I'm gonna say Aken is pulling the straightest line for an average
(especially new) rider. Yeah, on the ramps, just for fun, I like to wrap it up into the
real power-band. Still, for getting from a-b, around town and heading to my scratch
road, 5-6k is my sweet spot.

If I'm running up in the power-band, I'm generally on one of my "sport-stretches".
Sections that I'm memorizing, becoming familiar enough with to be comfortable
sporting. Even there, I usually top out in the 10-11k band.

Personally, I'm a decent rider (20 years and 80k of practice), but I have no delusions
of greatness. I generally don't push myself and the machine much past 70%-ish,
of what I judge my abilities to be. Running to the wall, is something I regard as a
piece of the picture, not the whole thing.

Bottom line, pull the RPM's till it feels right for the situation, and then shift.
As long as you aren't lugging the engine (which you aren't, from your description),
you're fine. The engine doesn't require a heavy throttle as necessary for it's
long-term health.

Once you've got some time in the saddle, by all means at an appropriate time,
it's fun to pull hard. Just don't feel rushed to get to there. Where I recommend your
attention is on your ability to brake. That's where, practice and attention to detail will
really pay off. Check the new member and riding skills forums for some good reads on
improving your riding skills.

Good luck and have fun, Ern

Kuroshio 03-22-2012 09:17 PM

Sounds like he's shifting almost per the manual. I'd have to look at it again to be sure.

When I want to stretch the gas, I shift around 5k (or not at all on Yolie). Highways, I'm much higher in the rpm. 4k and she might hesitate a bit if you hammer the gas to escape something.

On my f4i I usually stay around the 8k range. Bad for gas (and lower speed limit areas). But its definitely power on demand.

Bryantsito 03-25-2012 02:46 PM

Hey all,
Thanks for all of the good information I am more confident that everything is normal. I appreciate all of the advice and all of the information! Thank you.