F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding technique question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding technique question

ORIGINAL: FiremanE4

Practice breaking in curves while at a lean.
Break dancing?! [sm=interesting.gif]

Old 06-08-2007, 02:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Pugetpower

Similar Questions:

Im splitting lanes at 50 mph and a car turns right in front of me, what should I do?

Happen to be in hard lean, with bald tires, in the rain, and I feel the rear start to go, whats
the best technique to save myself?

Im at 12 o clock right, behind asemi truck, and the bastard hits the brack. I know
I cant use my front brakes,so what do I do next?
Similiar questions:

I come up to a railroad crossing and the lights flash and the gate is coming down. I'm in a hurry and probably going faster than I should. I try and cross and suddenly my bike shuts off right in the middle of the tracks. What do I do?

I never use a condom and now my girl says she's pregnant. What do I do? I don't wanna be a daddy.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lmao...

Old 06-08-2007, 03:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought a GIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXERandwant to take it for a ride with my newsweat pantsand NBA jersey (gotta represent).I didn't put my helmet onnot to mentionany gear but you know, I wanted to impress all the hot chicks so they can see that it's ME out there doin' my slick moves. I just popped a wheeliebut my NBA jersey catches a sudden gust ofwind and makes me panic. I pull the bars all the way to the right andland hard. I'm overthe front endand I'm in mid airperforming a50mph high side.

So guys... What should I do? HELP!!!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: matt_m427

Just bought a GIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXERandwant to take it for a ride with my newsweat pantsand NBA jersey (gotta represent).I didn't put my helmet onnot to mentionany gear but you know, I wanted to impress all the hot chicks so they can see that it's ME out there doin' my slick moves. I just popped a wheeliebut my NBA jersey catches a sudden gust ofwind and makes me panic. I pull the bars all the way to the right andland hard. I'm overthe front endand I'm in mid airperforming a50mph high side.

So guys... What should I do? HELP!!!
Id say with that gust of wind attach a rope to the back of the bike and let the wind carry you with your oversized shirt above the wreck and then procced to do a back flip mid air and land the bike right back up and ride away..But we can let the experts look at this one..

Old 06-08-2007, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: FiremanE4

Trail braking. Go into the curve already braking, you can lean it as much as you want to while doing this as you are already fighting the bike wanting to stand.

Practice breaking in curves while at a lean. You cant grab a handfull but you can brake. You just have to compensate for what the bike wants to do.
not that i know all that much about motorcycles but thats the first time i have hear trail braking aplied to brakes but its diffrent from what i hear about car.

in a car you brake slightly to force the front tires of the car into the ground them as your leaving the turn about 3/4 of the way through give or take a little you accelerate to trasfer the wait to the rear of the car. men while your sart on the out side of the track then work your way to the inside by the apex and then back out to the out side of the track as you go out to give you a slight larger turn then if you chose one path.

from my motorcycle instructor told us you dont brake not becuase your fighting the bike but becuase you only have so much tire on the road and you can only use it for so much traction the minute you brake hard your asking to much of the tire in a sence its like your diverting your traction from holding you to the road to stoping i mean its not like that but you cant think about it like that if that made sence.i think that this also depends on the tire somegood pilot powers orquilfiers would grip a hell of a lot better then say 208s or pilot roads so.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:43 PM

from my motorcycle instructor told us you dont brake not becuase your fighting the bike but becuase you only have so much tire on the road and you can only use it for so much traction the minute you brake hard your asking to much of the tire in a sence its like your diverting your traction from holding you to the road to stoping

This is true, when braking with the front you will load the front, break to hard and you will overload it. So if your losing the front its the last thing you would want to do. Also I wasnt trying to imply that you brake because you are trying to fight the bike but that by braking at a lean you will cause the bike to react and stand up. Howeve if you are braking when going into the curve and then leaning you are already leaning against the force of the bike trying to stand........did that make any sence?

Old 06-08-2007, 04:29 PM

yes much better wording that way

Old 06-09-2007, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: 01f4iGuy

Say your leaning in a nice corner, going a little faster than you should be, and then the car ahead of you steps on the brakes, what can you do?

I know you cant brake, or slow down when your leaning, so what can be done?
Uhm... actually, you can. Not panic-style braking, but you can bring your bike down to stand-up speed with smooth, steady, ease-on front-n-back action, using the 2-finger-slow-throttle-roll-off technique. Also, you have to look beyond and see *why* he's braking. YOu might have absolutely no choice but to stand it up and nail the brakes, or maybe if it's an issue just with him and/or his car, you can swerve around him, maybe you can cut inside him if there's room.

Too many variables for a straight, single answer, but yeah... you can brake in the turns. It's all about smooth and technique. The bike will stand up when you do it, but that beats falling on your head, eh?

Old 06-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Retired Moderator

I have to agree with those that said you should not put yourself in that predicament. Always be aware of what is in front of you and give yourself time to react. That may not be the specific answer to your question, but it will keep you riding. I will often pull over to the side for a few minutes, and wait for the guy in front to "get out of my way"...especially if I am riding on a road I want to be aggressive on.

Quick Reply: Riding technique question