F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding technique question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding technique question

There are a few options. Also, how fast were you going? Because a bike can stop VERY fast. This has happened to me before.

I HAVE used the rear brake before and had no problems. If you feel the rear lock up, learn how to control a rear skid.

Try to get to the inside corner and stand the bike up going through the lane at an angle to get max distance in your safe lane and slam your brakes.

If you KNOW nothing is coming in the other lane, just brake and use that lane.

Ride around the outside of the car if no other cars are coming

I would NEVER ride on the inside of a car because they are 2000000000000000 times more likely to jerk a car to the inside of a turn if ANYTHING freaks them out, and then you are fawked.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:07 PM

Just remember this: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:59 PM

There's no reason to be in this situation in the first place. No sympathy from me if you crash and endanger other motorists.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:42 PM

Similar Questions:

Im splitting lanes at 50 mph and a car turns right in front of me, what should I do?

Happen to be in hard lean, with bald tires, in the rain, and I feel the rear start to go, whats
the best technique to save myself?

Im at 12 o clock right, behind asemi truck, and the bastard hits the brack. I know
I cant use my front brakes,so what do I do next?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you are splitting lanes at 50mph you are an idiot. A bit harsh perhaps, but you should only be splitting lanes when traffic is moving slowly - and you only go as fast as is safe to do so - ie if 50mph means you can't do anything about the right turning guy you're going too fast.

Rear brake is a turn is really not for beginners. Just because you've done it in the past doesn't mean that it is the right advice for younger riders (the type that ask this question in the first place) nor does it mean you should do it again.

If you are travelling fast enough to catch cars dangerously quickly - then consider slowing down or going to the track. If we're talking about following a car and travelling at or near the speed limits then you are no where near the limit of the bike and can stop almost normally.

If I was in that situation and speeding was the reason that I had the problem - then I'd be going around the guy on the left. It's a dangerous move with the potential of oncoming traffic - but if you scan the road really quickly and don't see a car (and you're REALLY going that fast) go around the car, you'll be past the car and back into the lane before an oncoming car could get there. If you are riding 9/10 ths or more on the street than this might be difficult, you may actually low side when you make your turn tighter... that means you're going TOO fast and should slow down or go to the track.

Listen to the racer guys about traction... so long as you're not riding like an idiot ( 9/10ths or more on the street) then you won't have any problems with this situation on the street.

Woot.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:23 PM

I've got a cold and am all out of sugar coat - sorry for that.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:05 AM

I have applied a lil brake while leaning but if your gonna do it make sure you are starting to come up right or more up right and out of a lean. Dont grab the brakes but be very soft on them...................its kinda hard to explain but be very careful.... i use very little front and apply more brake as need the more up right i go...but i to really answer the question i agree with woot.... you dont wanna be on a car's *** anyway...and dont go in so hot in the turns..... even if you know the road.....

Old 06-08-2007, 01:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

but then if you did know what you were doing, you shouldn't be in this predicament!
Truth, nothin but truth.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 AM

did you take the msf? in the msf they tought us in an emergancy up right the bike as fast as possible and then brake. if your dont have enogh time to do that then your probly to close to the car infront of you

Old 06-08-2007, 01:55 AM

Trail braking. Go into the curve already braking, you can lean it as much as you want to while doing this as you are already fighting the bike wanting to stand.

Practice breaking in curves while at a lean. You cant grab a handfull but you can brake. You just have to compensate for what the bike wants to do.

Quick Reply: Riding technique question