F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

RIDING WITH A PASSENGER

Old 06-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIDING WITH A PASSENGER

any tips on riding with a passenger. i cant flat foot both feet so im kinda scared to take someone. advise?? thanx guys (been riding for 3 months - 4000 miles) i feel pretty good by myself on the bike

Old 06-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Default RE: RIDING WITH A PASSENGER

take your time, ensure good tire pressure in rear (40-42psi), and be carefull.. Im in the same boat.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:35 AM

I think it has alot to do with the passenger on the way you ride with a passenger. It feels like common sense to me but you would be surprised. Tell them when you go around a curve to lean with you and try not to move around on the seat alot cuz that does throw off the blance some. But other than that its not so bad.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:18 PM

don't take someone that is new to riding the back on your first trip.

they need to lean with you 100%. the best way i got someone new to do that with me was to put the front of thier helmet on the back of mine anytime we hit a turn. they were forced to keep thier head in place and that made her entire body move with me also.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:13 AM

I find that when you're slowing to a stop, it works best for them to reach around and support their hands on the tank. Its much more stable, and keeps them from sliding. And if you accel quick at all...you better make damn sure they know it; mostly so they can get their hands from the tank to your belly.

About flat-footing....there will be a lot more weight on the back so you should be able to flat foot. I can FF normally, and when I have a passenger my knees are bent.

So of course you have the obvious....slower acceleration, taking longer to brake, etc. Careful around slow 90degree turns. You'll get the hang of it.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:02 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Don't tell your passengers to lean - tell your passengers to do nothing at all. They move their body and you will feel it, no matter what you're doing. Tell them to relax and enjoy.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:17 PM

Don't tell them to lean? Thats about stupid, of course they need to lean. the balance of a bike can be touchy. I have had experience with somebody that didn't lean I had to lean a good bit farther to even make the curve.Theres nothing to leaning but it does make a different just tell them to sway their body a little bit around a curve with yours.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Mustangred

Don't tell them to lean? Thats about stupid, of course they need to lean. the balance of a bike can be touchy. I have had experience with somebody that didn't lean I had to lean a good bit farther to even make the curve.Theres nothing to leaning but it does make a different just tell them to sway their body a little bit around a curve with yours.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mustangred

"stupid"?! i believe (aken correct me if im wrong) but he said for them to do nothing and "RELAX". i too believe when you 1st learn to take a passanger that you tell them to do jack **** but RELAX and enjoy the ride. there is no need at all for them to lean unless you begin taking them at a bit of a quicker pace through turns. until then they just need to enjoy the ride. you shouldnt at all be taking turns at such a pace that they'd HAVE to lean. i told my g/f, my sister, and my cousin when i would take them on rides...to simply relax and your body will fall into the turn just enough, but to make a concious effort not to fight it...just relax and when the bike goes over, just roll w/ it.

so no...its not stupid, its called safety! the last thing you need to tell a passanger who's never ridden how to lean w/ you. no matter how you explain it they will NOT GET IT until you've had them out a good amount of times and they feel/see what you're talking about.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:28 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Exactly. Sit back and relax. In normal, every-day riding, there's no need for a passenger to conciously do anything except move their arms to either the tank or your body.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RIDING WITH A PASSENGER