CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Ridding two up with a split seat (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/ridding-two-up-split-seat-95947/)

aireq 06-22-2009 02:43 PM

Ridding two up with a split seat

My girlfriend, has express interesting in taking a ride on my bike. I've never had anyone else ride on my bike before. But I have a copy of Lee Park's total control, and there is a good section in that book about ridding with a passenger. However, I have an '03 F4i with the split seat rather then the banana seat and I'm wondering how much harder it is to ride two up with a split seat vs a banana seat? There just doesn't seem like there is a whole lot back there for her to hang on to.

Eric

CBRcheez 06-22-2009 03:07 PM

my chick just holds on to me not the strap or anything else, and she feels way to comfortable back there, she tries to let go and i tell her to hold on!

Joey_f4i 06-22-2009 04:04 PM

Two up-riding on the split F4i isent bad at all. I take my wife on the occacianal ride/cruise once in a while no prob on my 01 F4i.
Have your girl hold on to you, thats the best safest way anyhow.

jam0837 06-22-2009 04:16 PM

I ride two up with my girl all the time (01 f4i). Im 5'6 130lbs and shes 5'4 130lbs. She holds on and for the most part is comfortable. I feel fully in control unless she tries to move in which case i yell at her. I did buy this rubbery seat cover that limits sliding, It helps a lot. now the only time she slides is if we hit a bump in the road. i forgot the brand of it though.

K7inne09 06-22-2009 05:20 PM

I was in your position like a week and half ago. (02 F4i) Make sure you explain the do's and dont's of being a passenger. Educate her a bit on how the bike works and what not. Its Really not hard to any degree... turning seems to be a little easier with a passenger IMO...My girl likes to re-adjust as I'm coming to a stop and idk about anyone else but I have told her over and over its annoying because it makes the bike feel really unstable with all that moving around when im trying to stop! Hey hows that Total Control book? I have been considering buying it for myself... I have heard nothing but good things. But as Joey said have her hold on to you!

chetman7 06-22-2009 06:28 PM

I ride up against the tank most of the time and my girl always plobs forward onto my part of the seat crushing my balls against the tank. I've tried it twice and she wont stay ontop of the split seat. my solo seat stays on 24/7 now.

dave ls1 06-22-2009 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by chetman7 (Post 801025)
I ride up against the tank most of the time and my girl always plobs forward onto my part of the seat crushing my balls against the tank. I've tried it twice and she wont stay ontop of the split seat. my solo seat stays on 24/7 now.

Yeah that can happen. It helps if you brake slower and sooner and tell her to squeeze you with her knees and you do the same to the tank. Takes a lot of effort and by the end of the ride your legs will be shaking.

chwelch 06-22-2009 07:05 PM

Just a suggestion but If she keeps her arms wrapped around you, then when you go to stop, she can slide her hands forward slightly to the tank to keep her weight off you when coming to a stop. Works great for me and the several chicks Ive had on the back of my bikes over time.

Joey_f4i 06-22-2009 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by chwelch (Post 801032)
Just a suggestion but If she keeps her arms wrapped around you, then when you go to stop, she can slide her hands forward slightly to the tank to keep her weight off you when coming to a stop. Works great for me and the several chicks Ive had on the back of my bikes over time.

Girls hands on tank?!
Hands on tank+rings+long nails+whatever else bracelets and trinkets girls wear = scratched tank. nope.

the tank squeeze with the legs and her squeezing you a bit with her legs is the best way like stated before. You have to practice a more gradual stop with 2 up riding, obviously because there is more weight that you are not used to braking under. With practice, you can brake easily and softly enough so that no-one slides around much less the awful tank-ball crushing I heard of earlier....ouch.:icon_eek:

PlayfulGod 06-22-2009 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Joey_f4i (Post 801039)
Girls hands on tank?!
Hands on tank+rings+long nails+whatever else bracelets and trinkets girls wear = scratched tank. nope.

the tank squeeze with the legs and her squeezing you a bit with her legs is the best way like stated before. You have to practice a more gradual stop with 2 up riding, obviously because there is more weight that you are not used to braking under. With practice, you can brake easily and softly enough so that no-one slides around much less the awful tank-ball crushing I heard of earlier....ouch.:icon_eek:

thats called make her wear gloves :icon_doh: which you and any passenger should be wearing anyhow.

her hands on the tank and squeezing with the knees is the proper way to ride with a pillion. :icon_wink: