F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

replacing shift forks

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing shift forks

where do i find/how do i replace the shift forks? i have a problem getting into second gear. from what I've been reading it sounds like I'd start there. number 1 & 2 correct? thanks

Name:  1600.jpg
Views: 3286
Size:  29.0 KB

Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 PM

yeah those are your shift forks, you'd be best off letting a mechanic tackle that one for you unless you are 100% confident in yourself being able to do it

if you want to try it, step 1 is getting a service manual

unless it's terrible i'd just live with it bc shift forks are a PITA to get to

Old 12-28-2009, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by bwayers
unless it's terrible i'd just live with it bc shift forks are a PITA to get to
so i messed with the shift link and made it longer so now it goes into 2nd gear just fine. it seems like i hear some "mechanical" noise coming from the tranny/engine though...

if the shift forks are bent it wouldnt do any damage to any other parts???

thanks

Old 12-29-2009, 12:10 AM

it can, typically it's not the forks that are bent it's the shift shaft

the forks slide on the shaft and move the gears in relation to the position of the shift drum
if you're hearing noise it's probably the teeth of 2 gears grinding against one another

is the shaft coming out of the side of your motor bent away from horizontal in relation where it comes out of the engine casing?

Old 12-29-2009, 12:11 AM

has the bike been down on it's left side?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 AM

I was hoping I could tell you that you could fix your problem without splitting the cases (assumng your diagnosis Is correct), but you have to pull the motor. If nothing is wrong with anything else then you just take off the head and the covers and whatnot, split the cases and swap your forks out. The pistons don't even have to come out of the bores. F you feel like paying a shop to do it you could probably buy a used motor for what they would charge you. To do this job yourself it would probabln cost 40 for the clymer manual, 100 bucks to buy the tools to pull the motor or mch less if you fabricate them. I can't say how much it would cost for parts cos you won't know until you get into it. But luckily once you split the cases you jus lift the transmission shafts out, so if your problem went any further than the shift mechanisim it won't be a big deal. 60 bucks for a new headgasket, new exhaust gaskets, new journal bolts and a handfull of sealing washers. Probably some other things they want you to replace while your in there.

Not sure where you live or how mechanical you are but you have a bit over 2 months until decent weather comes back (for most of us). You've got plenty of time to fix your problem and even muck it up and re-do it.