CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Replacing the cylinder heads (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/replacing-cylinder-heads-131621/)

ajreyno1994 10-15-2011 09:01 PM

Replacing the cylinder heads

Hey guys, none of the mechanics around here could fix my stripped plug hole (yes it's bullsh*t and I'm pissed) so I'm ordering a head, cams, valve cover, etc off eBay and was wondering if it's something I should attempt to do or just take it straight to the shop and have them do it. I really wanna go for atleast one more ride this season and would like to be able to get some senior pictures done on the bike. Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys

MadHattr059 10-15-2011 10:17 PM

Did you try a Heli-coil kit?
Goggle them, repairing stripped holes is how they make money.
The kit is pretty easy to use, it might set you back on the road,
if that is your only problem with the bike.

Ern

74demon 10-15-2011 10:29 PM

Why cant anyone fix it? Id use a timsert. They hold up better than heli-coils.

ajreyno1994 10-15-2011 10:41 PM

I bought this kit from my Honda shop called fix-a-thread for spark plugs and every mechanic I call says nope of it's stripped your better off getting a new head...it's something I cant fix or something else to that effect. I just want it back on the road! I'm tired of seeing it stripped down in my garage

74demon 10-15-2011 11:06 PM

They just dont want to fix it. You will need to do it yourself or find a motorcycle mechanic that is comfortable doing it.

numbnuts22715 10-16-2011 12:56 AM

I don't have any experience personally, but after reading this thread I did some googling. It seems as if time-serts are favorites from many different forums. Couldn't really find any bike specific stuff, but car engines and motorcycle engines are basically built the same. Id give them a try before you spend all the money on a new head. From what I've seen, the time-serts are about 50 bucks

ajreyno1994 10-16-2011 06:33 AM

I'll look into those today. It's just aggravating that people don't want to do what their supposedly professionals at.

ajreyno1994 10-16-2011 07:05 AM

What size time-sert would I get? The metric kit that is 10x.1? Since the plugs in these bikes are 10mm with .1mm threada

DonnyBrago 10-16-2011 07:34 AM

The reason the mechanic said new head it because they will earn more money that way and doing it still on the bike is a bitch because of the crap access.

Can be done though, take it to a smaller garage not a dealer, alternatively remove the head and take that to an engineering place/mechanics to install the helicoil/time cert etc for you.. Dealers prefer to plug a laptop in and press buttons, not get stuck in with engineering repairs.

Jeffcbr600f2 10-16-2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ajreyno1994 (Post 1107169)
What size time-sert would I get? The metric kit that is 10x.1? Since the plugs in these bikes are 10mm with .1mm threada

10x1 is what you want. That's how bolts are sized. 10mm hole 1 mm thread. 10x1
If your not comfortable doing the job then I'd recomend looking on Craigslist. Lots of mechanics advertise on there. Look in the cycle area under services section.
Also give the Honda dealer a call. They should preform this for you.