F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

replaced stator cover, still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced stator cover, still leaking

Damn thing is pissing me off. Bike got dropped, cracked the stator cover, got a new cover and gasket installed it today filled up on oil let it run for 20 minutes no leaks, brought inside 90 minutes later theres a little spot of oil on the ground. Any ideas why its still leaking or even if something else is broke causing little leaks?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: replaced stator cover, still leaking

Put it together wrong. Didn't seal it properly?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any ideas why its still leaking or even if something else is broke causing little leaks?
Well, only you can determine where the leaks coming from. I'd narrow down the general area from where it's originating, then degrease/clean that area, so you cantake a definite assesment of where it is. Now, if it's leaking from the startor cover/crankcase, then either the startor cover is bent, or the crankcase surface is at fault.
What kind of gasket did you use? Paper or the liquid kind? I'm sort of speculating, but if it's a real minor leak from the startor cover, you may be able to remedy it by using a liquid gasket rather than paper.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:49 PM

Like Incognito said clean all around all oil that is around. Then check for a leak maybe its just oil form the first leak,I would put the gasket and RTV sealant on the cover. GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:21 PM

if you laid it down and the stator cover broke it is a possibility that your Case itself also broke or got a crack in it. I laid mine down about a month ago and the case cracked at the bottom where one of the bolts mount the cover to the motor,

Take the fairing off and clean the area real good, start it up and look for leaks this will give you an idea of what you need to do

Old 12-14-2008, 08:14 PM

Thanks shane thats what it sounds like to me, i tightened the bolts some more and it aint leaking but ill see in a few days but tomorrow im going to take off the rad hose and see if it leaking from underneath. It doesnt leak when its running only when it sits so ill see whats up when i get the hose off.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 PM

It might be a hairline crack in the case itself. Never had a stator cover crack on me, but if the force of the fall was enough to crack the stator cover, it could have caused a small, barley noticeable crack. Check everything over and get back to us.

Ohh and btw, if it is a crack in the case,I strongly advise against tightening the cover any more, It could worsen any possible crack by straining the case more.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:29 PM
July 2008 ROTM

It's also possible that you had some oil dry on the bike, and after you ran it for a while it melted and dripped off.

Like others said, clean it as well as possible, then check for leaks.