CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Replaced FPR, now no throttle response (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/replaced-fpr-now-no-throttle-response-128674/)

supersnake83 07-22-2011 07:04 AM

Replaced FPR, question about hose

I replaced my FPR yesterday and the procedure was easy. My symptoms (with old FPR) were poor gas mileage, exhaust smelling like gas (making me smell like gas whenever I ride the bike or by being near the bike when it is started), bike seems like it wants to choke a little when I give it a lot of throttle while riding and erratic/low cold start idles.

I don't have a specific question about the FPR or procedure itself as the replacement was easy and only took about 15 - 30 minutes, but there was a really small hose connected to the gas tank that was broken. I replaced the hose with one of similar size from a local auto store.

My question is, does anyone know what #40 (and the connecting hose) is for: (that was the hose that was broken)

Honda Powersports' 2004 Honda Street Bike CBR600F4 Parts List

I know its not the overflow hose as that was next to it (#41). I am not home and don't have access to the service manual, so I can't look it up.

I'll see when I ride next if all of my symptoms are now gone.

Monkeh 07-22-2011 07:14 AM

not sure, could be fuel return hose or air vent hose.

supersnake83 07-23-2011 10:35 AM

Replaced FPR, now no throttle response

I replaced my FPR on Thursday. I had symptoms (with old FPR) of smelling like gas when I am around the bike when it is on or when riding, exhaust smelling like gas, bike felt like it wanted to choke a little when started and when riding, I had a low throttle response if riding then slowing down, then trying to pickup again and erratic cold start idling.

Now, with the new FPR all of the above is fixed except my throttle response is worse. If I am at a dead stop and try to get going, the bike feels like its choking (it will get going a little after I let go and give more throttle). Similar to above, if I am riding then slow down, then try to pickup speed again (even if I drop to a lower gear), my throttle response is horrible.

Basically, my zip zoom is...well gone.

Any ideas on what my problem could be?

With my old FPR on the bike, I could at least get going quicker than now in lower RPM's. With the new FPR, lower RPM throttle response is horrible.

supersnake83 07-23-2011 10:45 AM

Alright, now I feel really silly.

Based on this:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...rommet-127469/

I forgot to take of the rubber seal/grommet/gasket thing. Now I am wondering, how in the heck did I just ride 30 miles with basically no fuel supply???

I'm now letting my bike cool off. Once cool, I will take off the dang rubber gasket and see if everything is fine. Hopefully I didn't ruin anything.

supersnake83 07-23-2011 12:39 PM

It looks like I got lucky.

Sure enough, the rubber grommet/gasket thing was still in there. It looks as if the fuel was pushing through even though the gasket was broken and stuck lodged in there. I got all of the gasket out.

I will take the bike for a test ride and fill it up with gas to see if all of my symptoms are now gone.

What a possibly costly mistake!!!

f4izombie 07-23-2011 05:14 PM

Glad you got this worked out, good job on doing your own research. Now that you changed your FPR you might want to look into doing an oil change. Depending on how long it was still being used while it was bad, you might have a fair amount of gas mixed in with your oil.

supersnake83 07-23-2011 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by f4izombie (Post 1082508)
Glad you got this worked out, good job on doing your own research. Now that you changed your FPR you might want to look into doing an oil change. Depending on how long it was still being used while it was bad, you might have a fair amount of gas mixed in with your oil.

I did the oil change and coolant change about a week before I did the FPR, but I didn't ride the bike. I did, however, turn on the bike to bleed the air out of the radiator.

Should that be a concern for gas in oil?

Also, after riding, the rubber grommet/gasket thing was my problem. Bike responds like normal now. Good throttle response and so far, all of my previous symptoms are now gone.

I also experienced bad poor mileage, so with a full tank and a reset trip odometer, I will see just how many MPG I get. Before, I was getting 30, sometimes around 27 MPG.

Thanks.

Kuroshio 07-23-2011 08:05 PM

I use an app called aCar on android phones to track MPG, gas costs and maintenance. Very helpful app. But so long as I get better mileage than the Edge I really don't care.

MPG seems to be a "how do you ride?" thing. Pretty sure my FPR is overdue for a replacement but then I ride stupid (shift at 7k) and still pull 28+ mpg so I haven't worried bout it.

backyardmechanic 07-23-2011 10:49 PM

i get around 40 and i drive like a 19 year old on a crotch rocket?

f4izombie 07-23-2011 10:53 PM

If it was done a week before I might at least put a finger in the filler hole and make sure the oil still has a good viscosity. Before I changed my FPR I was getting 70 miles to a tank of gas, now I get 135+ miles to a tank. Mostly city with limited hwy miles. I seem to run the RPM's to about 9-1200 usually before shifting and my gearing is 1 down 2 up..