CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Replaced CCT, new annoying noise (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/replaced-cct-new-annoying-noise-135468/)

Mr. Suave 03-13-2012 12:45 PM

Replaced CCT, new annoying noise

Hey, last night I replaced the cct with the APE part. I put it in until it was tight and then loosened it about 1/4-3/8 turn and tightened the locknut. I started it up and WOOHOO the annoying "marbles in a can" sound was gone. Then I noticed that when I will accelerate, especially at low rpms when the engine isn't loud, there is a whining or winding noise. It kinda sounds like those Kenne Belle twin screw superchargers... except it isnt (Bad ass Mustang Cobra with Kenne Bell Supercharger - YouTube 0:40). of course it isnt as intense as the supercharger, but is a similar sounding noise and is most noticeable around 2k-3k, but it wont do it while idling or when in neutral.

Im humoring the idea of it being the cct, but if it was, wouldnt I be able to hear it even in neutral? Could it be the chain? Im clueless :icon_denk: It could even be normal and Im just not used to it because all I could hear before was that stock cct.

chambers 03-13-2012 02:41 PM

Do you have a stand you can put the bike on and try to reproduce the sound w/ the rear wheel off the ground? It might help you get a better idea where it's coming from, maybe your cctl rattle was just hiding that noise before you fixed it.

An01InAZ 03-13-2012 11:27 PM

Hey man. I have the same thing with mine. But a buddy of mine said its not gonna do any damage. It started that way, now it doesn't do it

Mr. Suave 03-14-2012 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by An01InAZ (Post 1140400)
Hey man. I have the same thing with mine. But a buddy of mine said its not gonna do any damage. It started that way, now it doesn't do it

You're sure? It sounds like my baby is crying and it makes me sad :(

jveach 03-14-2012 01:40 AM

mine did same thing, I just went back in and loosened a bit more. Sound was gone and it runs great. If you have it tight enough that its making the supercharger sound, then you are robbing your motor of about 5hp or so.

I just put a socket with a lot of extensions on it to where I could turn the bolt easy while motor was running. Adjusted cct back out and revving the bike up and down the whole time.

jveach 03-14-2012 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by An01InAZ (Post 1140400)

It doesn't do any real damage, but you had it too tight and then the chain finally stretched enough that its in correct adjustment now.

Mr. Suave 03-14-2012 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by jveach (Post 1140422)
It doesn't do any real damage, but you had it too tight and then the chain finally stretched enough that its in correct adjustment now.

So will it eventually "break in" or is it absolutely necessary to loosen it up?

An01InAZ 03-14-2012 07:57 PM

when i first did mine, the blue loctite didnt set in overnight. it came loose going to work. so my buddy came and tightened it back, a little too much. i have a loud exhaust and it didnt sound like it was on. RPM was at like 1k, if that. so loosened it and it has a slight rubbing or whine sound. but not anymore