CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Repairing a bad cam chain tensioner, it it possible? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/repairing-bad-cam-chain-tensioner-possible-126325/)

HarleyZ28 06-01-2011 11:10 PM

Repairing a bad cam chain tensioner, it it possible?

Ok so I found this video on youtube showing how to fix a bad cam chain tensioner, just wondering if anybody knows if this works or not. Here is the video

YouTube - ‪Timing Chain Noise CBR600 F4i How to Fix It.‬‏

Sick97SS 06-02-2011 09:04 AM

I cant even figure out what he "fixed" in the video, maybe he's winding up the spring for more tension? Looks like BS to me. Before i changed mine out i scoured the web and couldnt find one single fix for the stock cctl.

It's such a pain to change it out, why not just replace it with a manual one, tune, and forget about it.

Incognito 06-02-2011 10:35 AM

What the guy on the video is getting at, is that you don't have to remove it to perform this adjustment. Just remove the nut on the back of the CCTL and increase the tension with a screwdriver while it's still on the engine.

If you look at this guy's YouTube channel you'll see that he seems to be quite mechanically proficient. Perhaps he's on to something although I'm skeptical and think this would only be a temporary fix. Who knows? Somebody's going to have to experiment. I replaced mine with the APE as well; no problems since.

Seventy4blazer 06-02-2011 10:51 AM

I think that it's a temp fix because he tightened the tension down on an already worn spring that will lose tension even faster now...?

F34Me? 06-02-2011 11:06 AM

This has been posted before. From memory it does work, but as stated above is only a temporary fix.

stingray 06-03-2011 05:00 PM

tried that procedure on mine, didn't work. i figured it was worth a shot.

ended up installing an APE tensioner and it's amazing how quiet and smooth the F4i engine actually is when the CCTL isn't making all that racket. it's nice to be able to cruise at 6,500RPM without feeling like you're sitting on top of a can of BB's.

Slick 6 06-03-2011 06:29 PM

I did it, but instead of fixing the rattle at 4,500, I now have rattles at 3,000 AND 5,000 :icon_doh:

Maybe I didn't wind it up enough, but APE is getting some money from me in the near future

dgk600f4i 06-03-2011 06:49 PM

i posted a video somewhat like this a while ago you hav to have one out and stick a screwdriver in it an play with it to see what he means. i did try this and it worked for about ten miles until the rattle came back. all it is, is a waste of time.

usafstud 06-03-2011 07:22 PM

for the amount of time you spend on getting the taking off all the fairings and to remove the broken CCTL, I would rattle replace it with a new OEM or APE

I replaced my with a APE and glad that it has been a one time deal

redzintimidator 06-03-2011 08:31 PM

stick a bolt with a locknut in the end of it tighten it down, loosen it 1/8 a turn. Done. Stock cctl fixed. its worked for me for over 3000 miles