F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Reinstalling Fuel Tank Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reinstalling Fuel Tank Questions

It's been awhile since I've done this operation but I had the tank painted for a makeover. I got the fuel pump reconnected and the rear bolts back in place and have a couple questions for the sake of my memory.

1- The rubber grommets at the headstock: do the metal bits (look like a large washer) go face up or face down? I think they go face up.
2- For some reason, the bolts at the top seem to be very difficult to put back in place as though they've been cross threaded. The threads don't look damaged save a little stretching near the middle of the threads. I'm wondering if I should get a tool to repair the threads if that will help with bolting them back down. I had to apply a lot of torque and they still stick up about 3/8 inch before I decided that was enough as I didn't want to risk snapping them in the frame.
3- The key is stuck in the gas tank lock. It looks like there's some white corrosion at the keyhole. How do I get it free? Should I spray some type of lubricant inside to prevent further damage?

Old 11-14-2016, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1- The rubber grommets at the headstock: do the metal bits (look like a large washer) go face up or face down? I think they go face up.
they're supposed to go washer side facing up, but backwards works fine too...

2- For some reason, the bolts at the top seem to be very difficult to put back in place as though they've been cross threaded. The threads don't look damaged save a little stretching near the middle of the threads. I'm wondering if I should get a tool to repair the threads if that will help with bolting them back down. I had to apply a lot of torque and they still stick up about 3/8 inch before I decided that was enough as I didn't want to risk snapping them in the frame.
if the thread on the bolts are imperfect, get new bolts. they're only a few bucks. if threads in the frame are damaged further down and you can't get that last turn or two, shorter bolts will work ok too.

definitely things can get sketchy if you tighten the back tank bolts before the front, too. i'd put each bolt in finger tight before tightening anything, otherwise things can bind.

don't be afraid to grease those bolts a little either..

3- The key is stuck in the gas tank lock. It looks like there's some white corrosion at the keyhole. How do I get it free? Should I spray some type of lubricant inside to prevent further damage?
yeah just use any old penetrating lube.

if that doesn't help, the tank cap comes off and can be disassembled easily. when tank locks become problematic, i'm always tempted to just gut the key tumbler (take the springs and pawls out and leave it a dummy lock). any key could then open the gas tank, but then, if fuel theft is a fairly small risk in your area?

.. it really sucks if a sketchy lock prevents you from getting gas in a remote location ...

Old 11-15-2016, 06:38 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The inserts go up through the grommets from the bottom. There should be a washer that goes on top under the bolt.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:24 AM

Thanks guys for validating the proper installation of the grommets. A load off my mind.

I brought the bolts with me today to take them to Home Depot to run them through their thread selector. I've also found that action to help with any thread rough edges. I can pickup a couple bolts (although they won't be OEM) just in case.

I'm wondering if there might be some junk in the threads and a shot of parts cleaner may help. I might even put some alcohol in there and maybe a cotton swab.

I do recall the bolts being tight but not this difficult. One of them might have a slight kink in it, which means that replacement is in order. But I absolutely detest having to order small bits at a time.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I absolutely detest having to order small bits at a time.
they're an M6x28 bolt, don't you have a fastener shop near you? a close equivalent should be less than a buck

Old 11-15-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by rfesu
they're an M6x28 bolt, don't you have a fastener shop near you? a close equivalent should be less than a buck
How did you determine that? I'm planning to get to Home Depot today to get fasteners.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Get some fancy allen headed ones. It will look better that cheapo hardware store bolts at least.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Old 11-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Old 11-15-2016, 04:47 PM

I bought a tap and die set to try to save the threads in the frame if cleaning doesn't work.

Quick Reply: Reinstalling Fuel Tank Questions