CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Regulator or diode? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/regulator-diode-136163/)

lesiak392 03-30-2012 03:45 PM

Regulator or diode?

I have a CBR600 F1 (2001) and been having problems for a while with a dieing battery. I thought it was just getting old and tired as it is the original battery (9 years old) and has been stood for about 2 months.

I bought a brand new battery 1 week ago and it died again yesterday. I have followed the Haynes manual for reg/rec problems and all loom readings come out as expected. Battery was 13.4V (charged) with engine off, 12.9V with engine on and does not increase when revved. I found a page on the internet that states these symptoms, rather than overcharging, is due to diode burnout. I have checked the diode and it seems fine so now I am confused as different information says different things.

Does anyone have ideas if this is the reg/rec?

74demon 03-30-2012 04:15 PM

sounds like your r/r has failed. it's pretty common. does the charging voltage get to 13.4 at 4,000 or so rpms? i bet it doesn't.

lesiak392 03-30-2012 04:46 PM

No, revved up to 5500rpm and will not go above ~13V. Can the problem of not increasing voltage be purely the r/r being knackered? Everywhere I have seen is it overcharging.

74demon 03-30-2012 04:51 PM

most likely, yes. you will want to check the stator to make sure its not shorted to ground and that the winding is not broken. you would hate to fry a new r/r. you may find the plug for the r/r pretty cooked as well.

under 13v at rpm in not charging. it needs to be 13.4v to 14.5v.

lesiak392 03-30-2012 05:03 PM

I have tested all the wiring to the stator and seems fine as stated in the manual. I haven't opened it up so not sure about the interal components, if they are causing a problem at all. All the plugs off the r/r seem fine as well with nothing out of the ordinary.

I am definately not getting that voltage and apart from it not charging, everything seems normal.

74demon 03-30-2012 05:06 PM

you don't need to take out the stator to check it. if the ohm tests all are good, then its probably okay. replace that r/r, and you problems should be solved...

demon

MadHattr059 03-30-2012 05:24 PM

I'm gonna say, I think demon's giving you the straight skinny. What you've got going
on, is the early stages of r/r failure. If the system is healthy, you should easily get
14+ volts at 5 grand. You aren't over-charging, until you hit above 14.8/9-ish volts.

You sound like you know how to read a meter, so I'm going to assume your stator test
is verification that it's fine. So that only leaves the r/r as a culprit. If it's the original
OEM, with a smooth epoxy fill and NO fins, I'd replace it as a standard preventitive
maintenance. Whether it needed it or not. This is one of the only, known faults,
in the entire line of Honda's for this era. The other being a unusually, high failure-rate
of the automatic Cam Chain Adjuster (CCT).

Hope this helps, Ern

lesiak392 03-30-2012 05:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. It is the original r/r yes but it DOES have fins. I am highly considering replacing anyway if the majority vote is for the r/r as I am going on a long ride next week and don't really want a flat battery half way there! I just wanted to get an opinion on the diode but that seems to be OK so I think I can rule that out.

The heat from the r/r within literally 1 or 2 minutes is very hot and I am no temperature gauge myself but it felt as hot as my engine after a long ride when the bike was warmed up properly.

Oh, I have had the CCT before and due again soon I think!

mnguyen84 04-01-2012 11:26 PM

what does r/r stand for?

74demon 04-01-2012 11:28 PM

Regulator/rectifier