CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Red LED gauges on 2002 F4i (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/red-led-gauges-2002-f4i-105553/)

skameigh 02-03-2010 08:56 AM

Red LED gauges on 2002 F4i

1 Attachment(s)
So I couldnt stand the ugly "amber" color of the stock gauges any longer. I decided to change them to red not only because its easier on the eyes at night but it looks 100x better in my opinion.

It was a pain in the ass to do and took me about 2 hours to do. That was with me knowing how to do them with the proper tools as well. Was planning on doing a how to f4i specific but decided not to after jumping into it.

For anyone wanting to try this, I highly recommend you have a proper desaudering station as you have to remove the tach and digital readout on the gauges without damaging them.

Anyways, here is a quick picture I snapped on my phone. The red shows up really well at night but is hard to tell in this picture. There was too much light at the time i snapped it.

Let me know what you guys think about it. Also, i dont know if Im allowed to say this or not, but if anyone would like their gauges done, I'd be willing to work out a deal that beats Bluegauges prices. Just PM me.

Zero1080 02-03-2010 09:11 AM

Looks good. I've been considering it for a while, if anything I'd go with white, but I'd have NO idea how bright it'd be, and I wouldn't want to be blinded.

I think the orange is perfect, because I can see it when I look down, but other than that it's not distracting. Plus, I think once I start matching TOO much, it's just gonna be overkill.

skameigh 02-03-2010 09:14 AM

Hmm, white wouldve been cool but like you said, not sure how bright it would be. My current fairings are mostly black with red flames. (Auctmart fairings fit great, just my opinion) so I figured the red gauges would be a nice added touch..

Zero1080 02-03-2010 09:19 AM

Oh yeah, that'll look good. I've got the candy red and silver 05 model, and there's not a red I've found to match the fairings exactly.

skameigh 02-03-2010 09:34 AM

Ohh, love that color scheme you have! Mine was the '02 yellow and black from factory. I liked it but the fairings were uber damaged from the previous owner so I decided to go with something a little unique.

sluijs01 02-03-2010 12:01 PM

Very nice man! I'm impressed you did them yourself. I've looked into doing mine myself, and I consider myself quite good at soldering/desoldering from my work, but I still don't trust myself on my gauges. I'll probably be stuck going with bluegauges.com You saved yourself a decent amount of money doing that!

skameigh 02-03-2010 01:37 PM

Yea I think I spent about $14 on the LEDs. I ordered too many just incase I messed up or if any stop working. Thankfully everything went well first try. No sense in paying $75 or so to have someone do something I can do myself.

Aken 02-03-2010 06:05 PM

Looks very nice! Scott @ BlueGauges did mine. I highly recommend his services if you're willing to pay for it. Was worth it in my book.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521...18c126d9d7.jpg

rell123456 02-04-2010 01:14 PM

i like the red, thats tight....i also like the blue thats nasty...i might have to get mine done...i cant do it myself ima have to find someone in pittsburgh to do it...but both colors are nasty

fairman86 02-04-2010 06:53 PM

just did mine myself, honestly not that hard to do with the proper iron and desolderiing braid, just takes patience. Only thing I have to say is, when I did mine, I had an issue with none of the LED's lighting up. swaped one LED at a time and copy'd the stock markings to a "T" and nothing, turned them around and presto! all worked... but had to be installed backwards!?!?! weird huh!?! lol ordered mine from ELED.com but got the brighter type, something like 367 mcd.