CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Rear wheel not turning in neutral... What could it be?!? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/rear-wheel-not-turning-neutral-what-could-121145/)

2004Houston 02-12-2011 06:58 PM

Rear wheel not turning in neutral... What could it be?!?

Replaced the rear brake pads and wanted to clean my chain today, so put the bike up on the rear stand and put the bike in N, but I couldn't get my rear wheel to turn freely. It turns about quarter way in each direction but that's it.

Thought it may be in gear so checked and confirmed that the N ligh is on.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks a bunch!

jp_greenville13 02-12-2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2004Houston (Post 1014163)
Replaced the rear brake pads and wanted to clean my chain today, so put the bike up on the rear stand and put the bike in N, but I couldn't get my rear wheel to turn freely. It turns about quarter way in each direction but that's it.

Thought it may be in gear so checked and confirmed that the N ligh is on.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks a bunch!

Not sure where the switch on our bikes is that controls that light or if it can be adjusted but on most cars it's an adjustable switch. Play with your shift lever a little bit and see if maybe you're not really in neutral and it just indicates that you are.

This is assuming you put the brakes back together properly...

jeffjones 02-12-2011 10:35 PM

Im guessing you didnt put the brakes back together properly.
Try starting the bike to see if it is actually in Neutral as JP said.
I would take the brakes apart and take the pads out and see if it spins, if it does then its your brakes, if not then you know its something else.

2004Houston 02-13-2011 07:43 AM

It's not the brake, as the problem (wheel not turning) existed before I did the brake job.

One additional question.... Is it normal for the caliper to "twist"? The entire caliper seems to move slightly when brake is applied.

Kuroshio 02-13-2011 08:39 AM

Did you remove the wheel recently?

backdoc 02-13-2011 08:44 AM

Will the bike roll if you take it off the stand? Drop it off the stand and try to roll the bike. If it does not roll then pull in the clutch and try it again and post what you find.

When was the last time you rode the bike? Has the rear wheel been off the bike recently?

2004Houston 02-13-2011 08:53 AM

I bought the bike recently... I never took the rear wheel off...

I'm trying to finish up all the maintenance and clean it up real good... I have all the fairings off the bike, including the upper...

Kuroshio 02-13-2011 08:55 AM

If the rear wheel has been removed recently it sounds like the spacers are swapped. If you try and rotate the wheel you'll see the nuts catching on the swingarm

2004Houston 02-13-2011 09:09 AM

Just tried turning the wheel with the clutch level pulled in (had the level pulled in with a zip tie)... As I was turning, hit a spot of resistance... Pushed a bit firmer and was able to get it to roll all the way around... Released the clutch and the wheel still turns but there seems to be a soft stop where it feels like it may be engaging on something (maybe one tooth on the gear..).

I guess if I was sitting on the bike and rolling it, I wouldn't feel the soft stop... Is this normal?

2004Houston 02-13-2011 09:19 AM

I have no idea what was done to the bike by the previouse owner, but I doubt he has done any seriouse maintenance on it other than maybe oil changes (the chain and sprocket looks like it hasn't seen a cleaning EVER!)

Just trying to get everything cleaned up and in good mechanical condition and give the bike a through cleaning that it deserves...
Here is what I'm doing;
-new spark plugs
-new air filter
-oil change
-new coolant (do I need to "bulp" the system after filling with new coolant like I do in a car to releave the trapped air? Can I do this by removing the fill cap after running the bike?)
-clean/lube the chain
-repair fairings
-good through cleaning

Anything else I should take care of?

I apologize for all the newbie questions... I'm new to bikes, but have worked on older cars so have tools and experience from that...